properties of cathode rays (1 Viewer)

zan

this might a totally stupid question and i'll probably get beaten up for posting it..
i was wondering what each of the tests of cathode rays, such as
A)casts a shadow of maltese cross,
B) causes a pedal wheel to move,
C)bends down in fluroscent screen

each prove about cathode rays??

JayWalker

HSC
Nah its ok, Cathode Rays are a ----- well yeah..

this might a totally stupid question and i'll probably get beaten up for posting it..
i was wondering what each of the tests of cathode rays, such as
A)casts a shadow of maltese cross,
B) causes a pedal wheel to move,
C)bends down in fluroscent screen

each prove about cathode rays??
A) Casts a shadow of maltese cross, This shows the WAVE nature of the Cathode Rays. Also shows that they travel in straight lines [as opposed to bending around the cross].

B) Because it can cause a pedal wheel to move, the cathode rays must have mass, and since mass is not a property of waves, it shows the PARTICLE nature of Cathode Rays.

C) Bends down in fluroscent Screen, are you sure thats what u meant? If you mean is affected by a Magnet then it shows that Cathode Rays are negatively charged.
If you mean that it reacts with the fluroescent screen causing it to 'glow' then that shows the particle nature of cathodes...

A bit confused about what your asking in C but other than that, there ya go :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yup, its basically beacuse they didn't know whether cathode rays were matter, or waves, because experimetns done by hertz and thompson proved both. As u can see above the different experiments above show its wave-particle properties

JayWalker

HSC
gordo said:
yup, its basically beacuse they didn't know whether cathode rays were matter, or waves, because experimetns done by hertz and thompson proved both. As u can see above the different experiments above show its wave-particle properties
Yes, my description also gives you answers to the syllabus dot points about showing cathode rays are negatively charged and they travel in straight lines.

R :cool: p me :p :p :p :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)