Projectile Motion Practical (1 Viewer)

kev-kun

HSC
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity say for this dot point:

Perform a first-hand investigation, gather information and analyse data to calculate initial and final velocity, maximum height reached, range and time of flight of a projectile for a range of situations by using simulations, data loggers and computer analysis.

Granted we need to know the method we used. But do we need to memorise like the aim, hypothesis, risk assessment etc. for the written exams?

Help much appreciated ^^

tashe

HSC
N/A
The aim is usually implied in the question. Hence they usually don't ask you for the aim.
You don't need a hypothesis, since that is subjective.
You will need to know the risk assessment.

Basically, in a written exam (such as trials, HSC and sometimes assessment tasks), they wouldn't ask you to write out a scientific report.

What you do need to know are:
1. Method
2. Risk Assessment (probably won't ask you this in physics, it comes up more in chemistry)
3. How to improve validity
4. How to improve reliability
5. How to improve accuracy
6. What are the controls, independent, dependent variables (they possibly won't ask this since it's too simple)

Some questions will give you an invalid method and may ask you to identify why it isn't valid and how to make it valid.

You should had dealt with these types of questions in the preliminary course. I'll try to find some examples of these experiment questions.

EDIT:
2013 Question 21b: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2013/pdf_doc/2013-hsc-physics.pdf
2012 Question 21 (good example): http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2012exams/pdf_doc/2012-hsc-exam-physics.pdf
2011 Question 21b and 28a: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2011exams/pdf_doc/2011-hsc-exam-physics.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those particular questions, there are some you could easily answer with your knowledge of the dotpoints on the left hand side (of the syllabus) such as 2011 28a.

However, do learn the experiments (and not just the theory from the LHS). DO NOT FORGET THE METHOD. That's where many people go wrong with experiment questions, because they focus too much on the LHS of the syllabus and forget about how the practical is actually performed. An example is 2012 21a.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Tashe's answer is brilliant, just to add to his point, you should remember the experimental set up of your experiment-being able to draw a diagram of your experimental set up for any experiments will elevate your marks when it is done properly in comparison to just including endless steps.

Last edited:

tashe

HSC
N/A
Tashe's answer is brilliant, just to add to her point, you should remember the experimental set up of your experiment-being able to draw a diagram of your experimental set up for any experiments will elevate your marks when it is done properly in comparison to just including endless steps.
I'm a guy... but okay, I understand how my username could be misleading.

Anyways, +1. It's a really good idea to draw, even if they don't ask, you may still get some marks from drawing. It helps reinforce what you are trying to say if markers can't catch on from your writing. I used to draw in my exams as well.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a guy... but okay, I understand how my username could be misleading.

Anyways, +1. It's a really good idea to draw, even if they don't ask, you may still get some marks from drawing. It helps reinforce what you are trying to say if markers can't catch on from your writing. I used to draw in my exams as well.
Sorry about mistaking your gender, I will edit my post right now:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just add "they" instead of using a gender specific "he/she" next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)