Problems/bugs regarding the forums (1 Viewer)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I've noticed a problem with using these forums. Whenever I click "reply" to a thread, it asks for my username & password. OK that's fine. After entering these, it brings up the place where you're supposed to type in your message. So here's the problem, if you take longer than about 20 seconds to type your message, and then click submit it will ask you to login AGAIM rather than posting your message (note that you have already logged in). If you fill out your username and password this time, it will not submit your message but instead give you some sort of error message as follows:

"There seems to have been a slight problem with the Bored of Studies database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

This problem is very annoying and I end up having to write my responses (including this one!) in Notepad instead, and then copy & paste it into the forum and then submit it, or else I will take too long (>20s) to write the message and it will give me that stupid error again. Also I'm not the only one experiencing these problem since my friend experiences the very same problem on his computer.

The browser that my friend and I are using is IE6, my friend uses Windows ME and I use Windows XP Pro.

Could this problem/bug be ironed out because it's a nuisance, and it would much appreciated if you could fix it. Thanks for your help.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
I'm no admin or whatever, but can't you just press the back button on your browser to return to the last page you were at, including all the stuff you've typed up. I get the same problem too, and it works for me. I may be using a different browser though. Opera 6.05

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Unfortunately, when I click the "back" button on IE6, it will send me back to the page where I entered my message, but what I wrote will be deleted so this means I'd have lost my message (unless I copied the message to clipboard).

P.S. I had to write this message and copy+paste it from notepad too :(

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your browser security levels might be too high... make sure you've enabled cookies (Tools -> Internet Options).

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
The cookie privacy setting was Medium-High (where it only accepts cookies with a compact privacy policy). I tried changing this to "Accept all cookies", and the problem still persists. Afterwards, I tried putting the boredofstudies.org on the "Always accept cookies from" list, and the problem is still there!

After that, I tried another approach. In the cookie/privacy settings, I went to Advanced and from there and selected "Prompt" for accepting any cookies. This time when I pressed submit to send a message, a dialog box popped up that asked me to accept a cookie from http://www.boredofstudies.org, the options given were "Accept cookie" & "Block cookie". I chose "Accept cookie" and the same problem occurred again. I was asked to login again after which the same error message was given. It seems to be the time factor. If I submit my message within ~20 seconds of logging in, it works FINE. If however, I take longer that's when the probem occurs. Any other suggestions Laz? Thanks for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)