• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Problems Answerni Section 1, Paper 1, (especially the last question) (1 Viewer)

jennyk456

HSC
ok here is my problem. in every single english exam, without fail, including my trials, section 1 has been a disaster, especially the last question (the one that tells you to pick two texts and bla bla). i was wondering if anyone had tips on how to answer them in general and things you must include to get the maximum possible marks.

thanks, jen

N

Nicola1616

Why don't you post one of your essays for comment - I think it would be heaps more help that general stuff and I'd be happy to have a look at it

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
ok for section one all the uestions ARE ALL ABOUT TECHNiCUE so u have to improve ur skill with identifying these within the texts.

For the last part (my best part) u have to generally say why these two texts are good or compare them its really just list the techs again with some more analysis

jennyk456

HSC
Nicola1616 said:
Why don't you post one of your essays for comment - I think it would be heaps more help that general stuff and I'd be happy to have a look at it
its not an essay, well its a mini essay, but the thing is either i dont get to the question in time or wen i do i dont know what to write, i.e. the structure and stuff. so wat i was askin was do u hav 2 set it out in an essay form, i.e. intro, text 1, text 2, conclusion, etc. if so how would you do it, like wat would you put in the first paragraph, 2nd paragraph, etc.

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
not so much essay style....

its a tricky one to explain, ummm IMO...the directive terms are ur lifelinee

compare and contrast are the common ones, what i normalli do is compare the techniques, the purpose, the tone e.t.c THE THESIS!...lol so my teacher says

i recommend looking at standards package thats what helped us....and for time, if u did it on a mark per minute basis than u wuld only get a 1/3 of 40 mintues....bout 13-15ish...honestly i reckon people shuld spend more cuz our teacher aka hsc marker said that its easy to get a 12, the best get a 12plus....

but hey...what wuld i kno...i do standard :)

jennyk456

HSC
Q2C-ME said:
not so much essay style....

its a tricky one to explain, ummm IMO...the directive terms are ur lifelinee

compare and contrast are the common ones, what i normalli do is compare the techniques, the purpose, the tone e.t.c THE THESIS!...lol so my teacher says

i recommend looking at standards package thats what helped us....and for time, if u did it on a mark per minute basis than u wuld only get a 1/3 of 40 mintues....bout 13-15ish...honestly i reckon people shuld spend more cuz our teacher aka hsc marker said that its easy to get a 12, the best get a 12plus....

but hey...what wuld i kno...i do standard :)
see thats what i wanted...like say if they ask you to compare and contrast, what is it exactly that you compare and contrast. ok you sed techniques, purpose, tone, thesis (isnt that the same as purpose), etc.
does anyone else know any other thing you can compare and contrast...

JDurrant

HSC
For compare questions I do it like this:

Texts one: idea about journey. techniques

Text two: either similar idea or contrasting. techniques

etc. maybe discuss, catalyst, types of journey, results of journey

Navets

HSC
I'd say you could use anything about the texts to compare/contast them.

It's normally a question about your opinion, like choose 2 texts to be in something something, which would you choose. I would be inclined to think that even something like, you can relate to it more, or something would be okay.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that it wouldn't be a bad idea to say why you DIDN'T choose the other text.

oh, and for the first couple of questions, yea, it's normally techniques, and they're effect. Often there'll be something staring u in the face and you wouldn't normally consider it to be important. ie, if theres a image, thats pretty good, colour, etc. headlines, captions, intertextuality maybe... its not always the lame metaphors and crap like that (bleh, i hate them)

Last edited:

NLAngel

HSC
Would it be better to compare and contrast techniques or themes/lessons?

dolbinau

HSC
You should compare/contrast them conceptually in relation to the Journey perhaps using Techniques to do this. Everything should relate back to Journeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)