Problem playing music cd!!! (1 Viewer)

Foong

I bought iron maiden's new album (dun worry if you don't know who they are :))
it works fine on my discman, but when i put it in my computer it won't read the disc. then i looked on the album cover and it said copy control. so i looked up the website they asked me to refer to and it said that on 0.02% of computer the cd will not work due to the copy control confllicting with some older hard drives, but my hard drive is only one year plus old. How can this be?
anyone has the same problem?
does anyone have a solution?
thanks for our help

Huy

HSC
N/A
Taken from
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-243806.html?legacy=cnet

Leoni Zacks, who attended London's Iron Maiden concert and received one of the free CDs, complained of just such a problem: Her computer did not run the hardware to download the music.

"I was a bit upset that it didn't work," Zacks said in an email. "I was looking forward to listening to the music and looking forward to the interview with Iron Maiden, as I love them to bits."
I'm afraid there's not much you can really do about this!
If it doesn't work, it wont work.

At least it didn't stay IN the CD-ROM drive like Celine Dion's album, when played on a Mac! :(

Foong

You serious?
noooo.......i bought this album for 30 bucks and i can't even get to see the extra bits on the pc?
damn
NNNNOOOOO!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i know some bands / singers have the copy control thing, and the cd can't be played on the computer at all. it's to stop burning of cds. i don't know if it's the same thing.

but if there r meant to be extra bits that are made for a pc then i don't know what's wrong.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
i know some bands / singers have the copy control thing, and the cd can't be played on the computer at all. it's to stop burning of cds. i don't know if it's the same thing.
"copy control" and cd-protection are the same thing.

Originally posted by spleen
download audiograbber and you can rip it to your computer.
if it cant be recognised, and doesn't "work" -- then cd ripping wont work either.

(i've never had a cd protected disc, so i havent tried it out)
-- but usually most cd stores will let you refund it for a "normal" cd :)

Winston

HSC
i wonder if the marker hack would work?

lol

never tried it myself

;)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
i wonder if the marker hack would work?
lol
never tried it myself
LOL i think they've fixed up that "loophole" :)
Ahh... next thing you know they'll start banning black markers! :p

spleen

Originally posted by Huy
if it cant be recognised, and doesn't "work" -- then cd ripping wont work either.
sorry to tell you but yeah it does. i got a review copy of the new muse cd that was copy-protected...it wouldnt play in winamp or windows media player...got audiograbber and ripped it as mp3s...and i'm listening to it right now ;)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spleen
sorry to tell you but yeah it does. i got a review copy of the new muse cd that was copy-protected...it wouldnt play in winamp or windows media player...got audiograbber and ripped it as mp3s...and i'm listening to it right now ;)
Oh alright then, it's just that i've never 'physically' owned/seen a copy protected cd, and i havent had a chance to play around with it, try to extract data from it, and so on. but i believe you :)

i guess any digital audio extractor will work with it, but that's weird how it wont play with winamp or wmp, since wmp has built in ripping options (to wma and of course, mp3 -with the plugin/decoder package). i know a mate who bought the norah jones cd and that was copy protected (i think), and they managed to rip the songs out of the cd via wmp9.

-- maybe it wasnt copyprotected, because you had to install a player from the cd (some lame one), to be able to play the songs properly.

i guess audiograbber should work, as well as LAME and all the other extractor/ripping/encoding apps out there. :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Oh alright then, it's just that i've never 'physically' owned/seen a copy protected cd, and i havent had a chance to play around with it, try to extract data from it, and so on. but i believe you :)

i guess any digital audio extractor will work with it, but that's weird how it wont play with winamp or wmp, since wmp has built in ripping options (to wma and of course, mp3 -with the plugin/decoder package). i know a mate who bought the norah jones cd and that was copy protected (i think), and they managed to rip the songs out of the cd via wmp9.

-- maybe it wasnt copyprotected, because you had to install a player from the cd (some lame one), to be able to play the songs properly.

i guess audiograbber should work, as well as LAME and all the other extractor/ripping/encoding apps out there. :)
you gotta understand

WMP is from MS, MS is a legit company, and they support Digital Media Rights, i'm sure they try to prevent piracy as well

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
WMP is from MS, MS is a legit company, and they support Digital Media Rights, i'm sure they try to prevent piracy as well
they support DRM, but i do believe that it can be disabled.
that is, the 'feature' is only used on a as-needed basis.

so it's not always "on" in essence.
i think it's somewhere in the wmp options, but i've read that you have the option of enabling/disabling DRM... or maybe im thinking of something else to do with copy-protection and wmp.

Foong

errr..... ok thanks for the advice.... i'll try to get this audiograbber

Foong

Ok.....I tried using it but it won't work....coz it won't even read the cd due to the copy protection.....so.............
damn.....

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Foong
Ok.....I tried using it but it won't work....coz it won't even read the cd due to the copy protection.....so.............
damn.....
That's what I thought (see my previous post).
But spleen says it works, so I'm going off what he has said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)