• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Private vs. Public Schools! (2 Viewers)

ReneeApple

HSC
please do not become a teacher, you are a waste of life
Firstly, she's one of the most lovely girls you'll ever meet.
Secondly, her points are absolutely true about the school. We had air conditioning put in every room, which was amazing. But we didn't have it put in the hall. Bear in mind that the hall gets so ridiculously hot in the summer we frequently have people passing out during assemblies. We have been promised an air conditioner repeatedly for in there but it never happens.

They do value our uniform over our education. I get that the uniforms are important, but they are absolutely ridiculous. The most obvious example of that is when they gave half of year twelve a uniform suspension a week before the mid-yearly exams. A lot of these were girls whose dresses were too "revealing" - ie. You could see the bottom of their knees.

Our biology teacher not only decided that he was too sick to teach that day, but decided that the whole topic for Maintaining a Balance was too easy so he didn't bother teaching us it for a term. As an auditory learner, this has been very hard as I have had to teach it solely to myself with only visual aids.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I live in the western Sydney area and let me tell you now, there are NO good non-selective public schools.
I do know a couple of people who go there, and they are lovely, but even they admit that their school is shit. eg: no one at their school last year got a Band 6. At all :|

My parents therefore put me in a independant high school which does pride itself on a good uniform and good reputation, but after a while you get over that stuff and get used to wearing your uniform correctly.
The school I go to is probably the best non-selective school in my area, and I love it! That's why, when I'm older, I will probably put my children in a catholic/ independent highschool.

But I also know a lot of great non-selective public schools- cherrybrook tech, cheltenham girls, turramurra high (heaps of my friends go there and love it).
But those schools are in high-socio economic areas, therefore have a larger amount of wealthy people attend there schools, but because I live in a not so great area, you get weirdos in the public schools.

All in all, I just think it depends where you live. if you live in the beautiful northern suburbs, you dont HAVE to put your kid in a private school. But if you live in the western suburbs, you should.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
glenmore park high! the girl who goes there is a good friend of mine & she even says her school is terrible. she's only in year 8 and says half her grade has had sex/ smokes :|

HSC
N/A
lol no that doesn't include her, she's actually moving to my school next year, she hates her school.

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
I live in the western Sydney area and let me tell you now, there are NO good non-selective public schools.
Not entirely true. Canley Vale High gets pretty decent marks according to HSC Ranks. But the general consensus is in your favor.

The school I go to is probably the best non-selective school in my area, and I love it! That's why, when I'm older, I will probably put my children in a catholic/ independent highschool.
Now you have to tell us the school.

All in all, I just think it depends where you live. if you live in the beautiful northern suburbs, you dont HAVE to put your kid in a private school. But if you live in the western suburbs, you should.
PURELY from the language displayed - are you a girl? No sexist comments or anything just curious.

lol no that doesn't include her, she's actually moving to my school next year, she hates her school.
That school you mentioned... yeah it does sound bad. She's making a good choice I reckon.

I go with the opinion that Public schools, however screwy they are are the best choice for one simple reason.

In University, the general public and the workforce guess who there are more of?

Also don't forget that since you are in a more diversely mixed group you will pickup on social standards at a far more easier rate than @ private schools. TBH though, not much difference they both still just want your MONIES!
You are just a number to the DET and a moneybag to the school (Especially Private) Sad but true. Teachers however are separated as you actually do build the whole student-teacher relationship thing.

twistedrebel

HSC
your local catholic school isnt far much better than your local public school just stricter on uniform. Public schools are just fine, they arent sheltered as private schools are and you learn some shit.

fyi the majority of UNSW is filled with public school kids form first hand experience. be it selective or non-selective.

If you stopped including GPS schools from private schools, you would notice the public sector outperforms the private by miles.

benk2788

Banned
HSC
Private and public differs financially but what is more important is wherever school you enter make sure that the school offers great strategy in teaching.

LonelyWolf

HSC
That school you mentioned... yeah it does sound bad. She's making a good choice I reckon.

I go with the opinion that Public schools, however screwy they are are the best choice for one simple reason.

In University, the general public and the workforce guess who there are more of?

Also don't forget that since you are in a more diversely mixed group you will pickup on social standards at a far more easier rate than @ private schools. TBH though, not much difference they both still just want your MONIES!
You are just a number to the DET and a moneybag to the school (Especially Private) Sad but true. Teachers however are separated as you actually do build the whole student-teacher relationship thing.
are you legitimately retarded?

of course there are more people at Uni, the general public and the workforce who went to public schools. you do realise that there are far more public schools than private?

also, public school kids pick up on social standards better than those who attend a private school? jesus christ, you actually are a fuckwit

Chahoud

HSC
please do not become a teacher, you are a waste of life

not true.

haha public schools build character? hahahahahahahahahaha

--

also there is a very good reason as to why private are strict on uniform
firstly ill become whatever i want and secondly dont judge me you dont know me :)

Firstly, she's one of the most lovely girls you'll ever meet.
Secondly, her points are absolutely true about the school. We had air conditioning put in every room, which was amazing. But we didn't have it put in the hall. Bear in mind that the hall gets so ridiculously hot in the summer we frequently have people passing out during assemblies. We have been promised an air conditioner repeatedly for in there but it never happens.

They do value our uniform over our education. I get that the uniforms are important, but they are absolutely ridiculous. The most obvious example of that is when they gave half of year twelve a uniform suspension a week before the mid-yearly exams. A lot of these were girls whose dresses were too "revealing" - ie. You could see the bottom of their knees.

Our biology teacher not only decided that he was too sick to teach that day, but decided that the whole topic for Maintaining a Balance was too easy so he didn't bother teaching us it for a term. As an auditory learner, this has been very hard as I have had to teach it solely to myself with only visual aids.
hey reneee and thank you :3

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to the oldest Catholic school in Australia. We had brilliant facilities, dedicated teaching staff who were enthusiastic about education and went out of their way to help us achieve. Also, we had a technology rich environment, easily 600 Macbooks + 200 other computers + 150ish iPads on campus to use, for about 1000 students. The fees were not that expensive either and we are one of the better performing Catholic schools in the state, ranked higher than Scott's college and Kings where fees are $20k +. From my experience of Catholic education, I can only speak very highly of all the facets of schooling life, not only academic.

RANK 1

HSC
I went to the oldest Catholic school in Australia. We had brilliant facilities, dedicated teaching staff who were enthusiastic about education and went out of their way to help us achieve. Also, we had a technology rich environment, easily 600 Macbooks + 200 other computers + 150ish iPads on campus to use, for about 1000 students. The fees were not that expensive either and we are one of the better performing Catholic schools in the state, ranked higher than Scott's college and Kings where fees are $20k +. From my experience of Catholic education, I can only speak very highly of all the facets of schooling life, not only academic.
theres not much difference between catholic education and normal education (other than all the religion bullshit), the education depends on the teacher which could either be teaching at a public or catholic school. the only difference is the quality of the facilities. although i personally taught myself pretty much everything cos i dont do anything in class

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
This thread has taught me that it doesn't matter where you go, public or private, you're all socially inept retards with little comprehension skills. I mean, essentially every single one of you had said the same thing in a round-a-bout way.

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
If I had kids I would send them to a private school.

That about sums this thread up for me.

Garygaz

HSC
can someone summarize what has happened here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)