Private schools questionnaire (1 Viewer)

Future-Med-GP

HSC
1. How would you feel/currently feel if you went to an all all-boys and all-girls private school? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of going to such a school?
2. How would you feel if you went to an exclusive private boarding school? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of going to such a school?
3. Lastly, in your opinion, is being wealthy an ideal situation? How might being from a wealthy family affect a child? Explain and justify your response

Evidence backed up from a source or article is also fine. Thanks :).

rambam92

HSC
Well i personally go to an all boys private school (Kings) and i think its very good. Schools like mine offer students a variety of oppurtunities that arent available at other schools and this sort of helps build towards a balanced and varied education - which i think is way better than going to a school like James Ruse and getting worked academically. Although the rankings of private schools arent that high academically its mainly because about 50 students in each grade come from extremely rich families or farms and thus dont need to do well in the HSC and thus just join the family business. Which means that if you exclude thier UAI's private schols actually do quite well. The teachers considering they get paid a hell of a lot of money are excellent teachers.

brisee

HSC
Uh, if this is for a task you're doing or you're going to publish/quote the responses somewhere, you're better to tell people first. If this is just for you, then I'm happy to swap notes on this.

Sidenote, I pretty much agree with rambam's points. HSC ranking isn't always an indication of the quality of education. General rule, if you're a good student, you'll do well. It depends on what the individual feels is the right environment for their personal growth, academic and non-academic.

Last edited:

JSBboag

HSC
rambam92 said:
Well i personally go to an all boys private school (Kings) and i think its very good. Schools like mine offer students a variety of oppurtunities that arent available at other schools and this sort of helps build towards a balanced and varied education - which i think is way better than going to a school like James Ruse and getting worked academically. Although the rankings of private schools arent that high academically its mainly because about 50 students in each grade come from extremely rich families or farms and thus dont need to do well in the HSC and thus just join the family business. Which means that if you exclude thier UAI's private schols actually do quite well. The teachers considering they get paid a hell of a lot of money are excellent teachers.
I am from Knox and totally agree with this guy. Also, we beat you in the rugby.

Last edited:

beve

Jesus
HSC
Future-Med-GP said:
1. How would you feel/currently feel if you went to an all all-boys and all-girls private school? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of going to such a school?

2. How would you feel if you went to an exclusive private boarding school? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of going to such a school?

3. Lastly, in your opinion, is being wealthy an ideal situation? How might being from a wealthy family affect a child? Explain and justify your response.

Evidence backed up from a source or article is also fine. Thanks :).
1. I would hate it. Hate it with a passion. There is so much money in private schools, and in Public situations, alot of the funds for resources need to be raised by means other than school fees, because there is not that luxury. Public schools are disadvantaged particularly, say, in country areas (where I come from) - where things such as acceleration and distinction courses are unheard of. This is not to say students capable of completing said courses aren't here either. It's almost as if to achieve at the highest possible level, you need to attend a private school. Or board.

This is wrong.

2. You would get to live with people from all over the place; and the school would have good resources. But my views on public/private education mean i still wouldn't like it.

3. Being from a wealthy background gives opportunity; opportunity not available to those from less fortunate backgrounds.

Disadvantaged bright kids miss out, really.

I'd like to see totally public owned education.

Private school kids; don't hate.

brisee

HSC
beve said:
3. Being from a wealthy background gives opportunity; opportunity not available to those from less fortunate backgrounds.

Disadvantaged bright kids miss out, really.

Hey, I totally get where you're coming from. But, the barriers for the "less advantaged" are very surely enough being broken down. First, there are the opportunities for scholarship, application in a very worthy selective school. Then, there's the tried truth that if you are a capable, motivated and driven student with lots of support, there's no stopping success. There are just as many no-hopers in private schools as there are elsewhere, these are the kids who'll remain stagnant in their dirt poor/filthy rich lives and get nowhere.

Also, private schools aren't completely a breeding ground for the town's richest. Granted, they are partly that. I was pretty recently shocked by the number of people in our grade whom I've started talking to who don't give a crap about tertiary education and declare their life goals as purely hinging on marriage. There's also the other side of it that is pretty hard to feel unwelcomed by. 1st generation Aussies who fully appreciate the journey from empty pockets to comfortable life. Some whose private school education denies them common luxuries. Others who have been given grants and scholarships on financial grounds. You'll never see any such people turning around and saying f*** the institution, this place is rolling in cash.

Then, it seems odd to root for a much larger, more instable - and as evidenced by the situation in some state schools/affairs - a more incompetent institution... the State Government. Woohoo.

What I'm saying is, there's no point condemning independent institutions, only question why a perceived imbalance exists... that is once you have established the existence of such imbalances.

beve

Jesus
HSC
brisee said:
Hey, I totally get where you're coming from. But, the barriers for the "less advantaged" are very surely enough being broken down. First, there are the opportunities for scholarship, application in a very worthy selective school. Then, there's the tried truth that if you are a capable, motivated and driven student with lots of support, there's no stopping success. There are just as many no-hopers in private schools as there are elsewhere, these are the kids who'll remain stagnant in their dirt poor/filthy rich lives and get nowhere.

Also, private schools aren't completely a breeding ground for the town's richest. Granted, they are partly that. I was pretty recently shocked by the number of people in our grade whom I've started talking to who don't give a crap about tertiary education and declare their life goals as purely hinging on marriage. There's also the other side of it that is pretty hard to feel unwelcomed by. 1st generation Aussies who fully appreciate the journey from empty pockets to comfortable life. Some whose private school education denies them common luxuries. Others who have been given grants and scholarships on financial grounds. You'll never see any such people turning around and saying f*** the institution, this place is rolling in cash.

Then, it seems odd to root for a much larger, more instable - and as evidenced by the situation in some state schools/affairs - a more incompetent institution... the State Government. Woohoo.

What I'm saying is, there's no point condemning independent institutions, only question why a perceived imbalance exists... that is once you have established the existence of such imbalances.
Sure, there are scholarships for the very best, but what about the other top kids that miss out on the kind of thing? Also; prestigious private schools charge exorbitant fees; allowing them to purchase resources that are so far out of the reach of public schools that it isn't even funny. But yet there is a huge amount of government cash flowing into these schools on top of the already high fees. I'm not talking about the small private schools; but the huge ones.

Why isn't some of the cash that goes into private schools fed back into the public system? It's not like a big private school is going to go broke because of a, say, 25% funds cut, when the students are paying such large amounts to go to these schools in the first place.

rambam92

HSC
sikhman said:
actually, you'd be surprised at how much gov funds matter to a lot of private schools. not all of them, but a fair few would close down for sure....
i totally agree with Sikhman ...cough...Ajeet
Some private schools heavily rely on their income - people reckon they are expanisve profitable oraginsations... well they definetely arent - all of thier money goes towards funding teachers, resources etc. there is no CEO or owner racking in the $$$. Some might say its unfair - well u try paying 20,000 a year for 6 years which increases annually at a rate of 7%, on top having to pay for an expenisve uniform and textbooks.. ill tell u right now its not unfair

beve

Jesus
HSC
sikhman said:
actually, you'd be surprised at how much gov funds matter to a lot of private schools. not all of them, but a fair few would close down for sure....
concentrating on the big ones here buddy..

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
rambam92 said:
i totally agree with Sikhman ...cough...Ajeet
Some private schools heavily rely on their income - people reckon they are expanisve profitable oraginsations... well they definetely arent - all of thier money goes towards funding teachers, resources etc. there is no CEO or owner racking in the $$$. Some might say its unfair - well u try paying 20,000 a year for 6 years which increases annually at a rate of 7%, on top having to pay for an expenisve uniform and textbooks.. ill tell u right now its not unfair
Yes, apparently it also goes towards stuff like making the school's entrance all fancy (with sandstone of course) and completely renewing the cricket ground's grass. Yes indeed...

brisee

HSC
On the topic of funding: both sides of politics have acknowledged to some extent the importance of some government funding to private schools because of exactly what rambam said. It's not easy staying in a private school. If the government were to cut partial funding to these schools, many families would be forced to switch to the public system, much more than the state system can deal with at the moment.

So, there's a fine balance. How many students can you keep paying only a small portion of their education for in a private school to prevent having to pay for their entire education at a public school. I think now, with the physical condition of more public schools than independent, perhaps saving the institutions should be a first priority. Then, we should talk about the fine balance.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
brisee said:
On the topic of funding: both sides of politics have acknowledged to some extent the importance of some government funding to private schools because of exactly what rambam said. It's not easy staying in a private school. If the government were to cut partial funding to these schools, many families would be forced to switch to the public system, much more than the state system can deal with at the moment.

So, there's a fine balance. How many students can you keep paying only a small portion of their education for in a private school to prevent having to pay for their entire education at a public school. I think now, with the physical condition of more public schools than independent, perhaps saving the institutions should be a first priority. Then, we should talk about the fine balance.
I agree. :)

/respect

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
1. If I went to a all boy’s single sex school, I would feel quite awkward as I’ve been adapted to living in the environment with both males and females during primary and high school years. But at the same time, I’d feel as if it’d be worth it if it was to be beneficial for my education i.e. university in the future. In terms of advantages, there would be better facilities, resources, a competitive environment etc. In terms of disadvantages, there may be troubles interacting with the opposite sex, financial problems etc.

2. If I went to an exclusive boarding school, I wouldn’t feel well as I’d be distant from my family. Again, better facilities, resources whilst gaining independence and the adaptation of living on your own are the advantages and the disadvantages are the lack of time spent with the family, separation from the family, financial problems and the separation from a social life spent outside.

3. Being wealthy may or may not be an ideal situation. It depends. Wealth can have positive influences on a child e.g. the affordability of sending them to a private school, provide them with a high quality education, avoiding financial strains. Then again, the child may become too dependent on their parents and as a result, they may be spoiled and may not realise the significance of the wealth being provided from their parents. In the future, the child would find it hard to earn their own living as they were already financially able, but now have to work for it, like others.

Edit: Sorry about the font. I answered them in MS word. I hope they're detailed enough. Good luck!

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
beve said:
The government would not be able to cope with a totally public owned system. Resources in the public system are already so short, dumping thousands of more students into the system would lead to it's collapse. The government couldnt increase taxes (as this would make living conditions harder for less well off people), and they couldnt charge wealthier people more for public eduction (when their children are recieving the same thing).

So basically, if you can, and are willing to pay private school fees do so, and if not, dont.

JSBboag

HSC
beve said:
Sure, there are scholarships for the very best, but what about the other top kids that miss out on the kind of thing? Also; prestigious private schools charge exorbitant fees; allowing them to purchase resources that are so far out of the reach of public schools that it isn't even funny. But yet there is a huge amount of government cash flowing into these schools on top of the already high fees. I'm not talking about the small private schools; but the huge ones.

Why isn't some of the cash that goes into private schools fed back into the public system? It's not like a big private school is going to go broke because of a, say, 25% funds cut, when the students are paying such large amounts to go to these schools in the first place.
Your right, i have to pay $37k a year to be a Boarder. But school fees do not cover the whole expenses for the school and gov spending comes into play. If you cut that 25% gov spending the fees will go up and people will be moving out of the provate sector into the public sector which will furthur increase the spending for public schools and cost the government a lot more. [In other words, i agree with the guy on top]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)