prison as an effective form of punishment (1 Viewer)

caughtz

HSC
what do you guys and girls think about prison as a form of punishment? Is it worth all the tax payers money?Does it actually work? What does it achieve eg how does it benefit or rehibilitate the offenders?
Does anybody have any ideas?

rific

HSC
Depends on how you see the purpose of prison. The prison systems at the very least keeps potentially violent or socially disharmonious people away from the wider community, resulting in a more secure and productive atmosphere. In terms of rehabilitation, the prison systems aren't perhaps the very best method that could be used in most situations, sometimes just promoting more criminal behaviour and recidivism.

jonnathann

Dis is prolly in the syllabus but yeh it ain't rehabilitative as it jus chucks the person in there to incapacitate them cos society reckons they're a threat and there's no better punishment cos they prolly hav no chance of changing their behaviour. It's bloody expensive at $50k a year for one person in a prison and yeh the prison numbers are increasing showing signs of recidivism. It's just good for those people who have no hope

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i did an assesment on crime and prison last year n i went and got information from a lawyer.
he said that short term prison stays can be usefuk, but longterm are usually no good, as as soon as the person gets out, say after 10yrs, they will go back to committing crime as thats all they have lived and known in prison.
i also got told about different forms of sentencing and drug court. ill see if i can find my notes and post later.

Jennibeans

HSC
Does it reduce recidivism? Unlikely
Explore the truth in sentencing issue...should a life sentence mean you're there til you drop dead?
Don't forget success stories e.g. Bronson Blessington (young rapist rehabilitated now fully into Christianity, mentoring other prisoners)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)