• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prinncipal ethical teachings of Christianity (1 Viewer)

bree007

HSC
Can someone please help me out with Principal ethical teachings of Christianity?? i have to outline and then evaluate the degree to which Christian ethics impact on the everyday life of followers...

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
bree007 said:
Can someone please help me out with Principal ethical teachings of Christianity?? i have to outline and then evaluate the degree to which Christian ethics impact on the everyday life of followers...
Seeing as you finish your HSC in 09 i take it that you're not doing a depth study.
This should be a fairly easy question.
  • 10 Commandments (Decalogue) - Research them.
  • New Testament ethics - The teachings of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7, which includes the Golden Rule, Mt 7:12) and the Great Commandment (Jn 13:34) are consistant with those of the Decalogue-Keeping the commandments leads to life and eternal happiness.
  • The Beatitudes - One of the foundations of Christian ethics is in the Beatitudes (Latin 'blessed'). This is the name in Christianity given to the nine sayings of Jesus in Mt 5:3-12 and the four in Lk 6:20-23, all of which begin with 'Blessed are...'.
  • In the Psalms and other wisdom literature in particular, some beatitudes that were praised include: fear of the Lord (Ps 1:1), doing justice (Ps 106:3), caring for the poor (Ps 41:1) and keeping the Sabbath holy (Is 56:2).
  • Three factors are important in order to understand Jesus' ehtics. These are: repentance as the basis of ethical life, the radical nature of God's ehtical demand on humanity, and the centrality of the love commandment. All are interralted.
I'm sure you can evaluate the degree to which Christian ethics impact on the everyday life of followers.

ceodit

HSC
CORE ETHICAL TEACHING:

Major source of ethical guidance for Christians is the NEw Testament which contains the Gospels. Additionally, the Ten Commandments, contained in the Old Testament, also known as the Decalogue are an important source of ethical guidance for Christians.

Importance of the 10 Commandments
The 10 Commandments are a succint summary of Christian eithics. They are frequently used as a framework for the key principles of Christian ethics. Jesus also used them as a means to highlight the requirements of the new covenant.

Beatitudes
Regarded as a foundational passage for Christian eithics, they describe a life directed towards sintliness and holiness. Thus, the Beatitudes provide a model or a template for the Christian life. They point to an inversion of values whereby the things that are often regarded as having no value according to the dominant culture are celebrated and affirmed in the reign of God. In another sense they provide a warning against an approach to life which values only material strength and power.

These tachings provide guidance which enable to adherents of Christianity to make informed moral choices according to the principles of the tradition.

Hope this kinda helped...
:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)