Pride and Prejudice (1 Viewer)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i think you people should try to see it without thinking about the miniseries. of course they arent going to do it exactly the same or what the hell would be the point?
i liked Knightley as Lizzie cos she had the perfect attitude for it. i loved the BBC version but i thought that the actress who played Lizzie was too weak.
Matthew Mcfayden was awesome. hes hot. i thought he did a great job and i really enjoyed the whole movie. Judi Dench was awesome too.
Yes, Wickham was hot too. it was a rather good movie just in that respect.lol

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
The music is wrong because has nothing to do with the regency period, which, incidentally is the period when it's SUPPOSED to be set. How do I know this music is wrong?
a) My whole family are musicians, including me, AND I did music 2 for the hsc
b) I have actually done regency dancing at a fundraising ball, and the music is way too brooding.

I can appreciate this as a movie, seperate from the book and seperate from the miniseries, but the ending is still wrong. The thing is, that 99% of people who have seen the new movie have also read the book and watched the mini series.

Keira knightly had the potential to be good. There were some good moments, but overall i don't think she was spirited enough, and i think she seemed too in love with darcy from the word go.

Yes, i studies pride and prejudice for EE1, but i also read the book in year 4, and watched the mini series when it first aired in 1995, and i have it on dvd. Incidentally I also have the 1940's laruence olivier version as well (they set it in the victorian period.... wtf?)

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
alright. dont be such a wet blanket for those of us who enjoy the movie in its own right. nit picking and analysing every mistake and nuance aint gonna make it better.

i studied P&P to death in ee1, have the book (i read it today on the train haha :D ) and am a devout fan of the miniseries yet i still enjoyed the movie. Of course, i definately went in with an open mind without expecting to be anyweher near as good as the miniseries. Overall, i walked out of there pretty happy so yeah :D

JoeysBoy

HSC
Sarah168 said:
i studied P&P to death in ee1,
I will pray for your soul. ee1 = english extension 1 right? I find any english study of a text totally ruins it for me personally... but anyway...!

Mr Colins was FANTASTIC! I literally cringed when he came into the room right before he proposed to lizzy. LOL! I nearly peed my pants with empathy for the guy (e.g. laughter) 10/10 for me!

Lizzy needed to keep her jaw up a little. She was like that 70's actor... veronica or something? Never used to have a closed mouth. You could always see her tonsils... mmm tho I think she played the part well besides that!

Mr Bennet was a fuking legend. Loved him. Crocodile tears were played brilliantly (at the end). Good on him! Loved his characterisation and his non-shaven jaw. Loved that pig snippet as well... funny! I don't think its in the book, but anyway, nice humour!

Jane was gorgeous (omg HOT!!)! Bingley was the FUNNIEST guy on set. He looked as though he were an "IM" (moderatly disabled) according to mum, but gees, he played it well! He got me in stitches just before he would propose to Jane (something about him being a protencious or pompous ass (forget the exact wording of it)... just the way he said it. Plus him running out of the room awkwardly when him and darcy came to the bennet's house unexpectedly. LOL!

Not all good though. The 2nd proposal was just bullshit. I'm sorry. Hollywood WAS NOT EVEN INVENTED IN THE 18TH CENTURY! Darcy looked like david hasselhoff coming out of the surf in 90210 or someting... lol... *cough* The music here pissed me off as well.

... Though... I really liked the music otherwise in the ball scenes. I liked the fact that the musicians were given a fair time on camera as well. Note... the cello guy in the first ball scene is awesome! He's fully ripping into those strings... good on him! Though not sure if this was the "correct" way to play a baroque-style Cello (modern day version wasn't created untill I THINK late 19th century). The knees/calves couldn't support such a crazy movement, plus I think he was holding his bow at the frog WHICH IS INCORRECT for a Baroque bow. Supose to hold it at the balence point... GRRR! This annoyed me almost as much as the 2nd proposal. And wtf they didn't have a Cello at the 2nd ball either. I listened carefully for one, and there wasn't --> just a stupid double bass (nor did I see one). GRRR! This is NOT common during the 18th century. NOT IMPRESSED!

I actually laughed when Mrs Bennet ran after lizzy after Colin proposed to her. The geese were running outta the way with their usual comical "HONK!", etc. Small things like this really help the film... which other versions of P&P don't have.

The dress/setting in this, I think was SO MUCH MORE realistic then other versions of P&P. This one actually showed they were poor --> e.g. hair not done up 100%, etc. Plus the camera focused more on lizzy when she was soaked (omg droool!!) rather then otherwise. Just a minor observation... that only a male could pick up.

Good movie I'd say for the 2 hour time period given. :cool:

Last edited:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I don't want to ruin the book by seeing a movie of it.

I think I'll just save my $7 and read my book again. There is nothing better than the book.

JoeysBoy

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
I don't want to ruin the book by seeing a movie of it.

I think I'll just save my $7 and read my book again. There is nothing better than the book.

U might like the movie if you see it! And seeing it won't really destroy the book for you... but enhance it!

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
llamalope said:
Yes, i studies pride and prejudice for EE1, but i also read the book in year 4, and watched the mini series when it first aired in 1995, and i have it on dvd. Incidentally I also have the 1940's laruence olivier version as well (they set it in the victorian period.... wtf?)
Oh my god the Lawrence Olivier was hilarious! With the massive flower pot hats? And I just loved how they paired mary off with a musician who played the piccolo :D that was so cute, a bit of poetic license, but I always wanted mary to have a man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)