Pride and Predjudice (the movie) (1 Viewer)

Ellie-Bee

HSC
this movie looks to be an interesting one. i dont know if it gets my approval. link

argh. keira knightley as elizabeth bennett!?!!?!?!?!? NOOOOOO......

mr darcy -
hmmm...not sure, not as good as colin firth!

post your thoughts! :)

Last edited:

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
My mums obsessed with Pride and Perjudice- shell be stoked. I didnt think Keira knightly could act but maybe shell prove herself in this one.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im not a fan of Keira Knightley AT ALL, so that remains my sole reason for being reluctant to see this when it comes out. That Mr Darcy is not bad actually. I am a Colin Firth devotee but the guy looks ok, they certainly could have done worse.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
personally i think keira knightley would suck as elizabeth. i loved colin firth in p & p - this guy has a lot of work to do if he wants to be any where as good as colin!

stardom

yeh i personally think that its pretty stupid of them to do another version so soon after the bbc one. even if this one is really good its still not gonna be better than the bbc production purely because of the fact that because its only movie length then they are gonna have to cut some stuff out whereas the bbc version was long enough to fit everything in. and plus, you just cant beat the acting in the previous one.

persephone

HSC
i don't like keira knightley and you can't beat the bbc version. the film won't fit everything in either. i'll watch because i love pride and prejudice but the best remake has already been done.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I agree. Nothing can beat the BBC version.
But like Persephone said, I will probably still watch this movie when its released, because I love P&P too much not to.
And besides, it might turn out good.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
i love P&P. what's wrong w/ keira knightley ? i find her acting and such ok.. and that's the guy playing mr darcy ? pfffffft... could've done better than THAT ! maybe he'll look better in the movie..

Fry

that's what i was thinking. she certainly looks the part and was ok in Love Actually. the dude who's gonna play Mr. Darcy has a lot of expectations to live up to.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
yeah i liked keira in pirates of the caribbean and love actually, and i suppose she was alright in king arthur though i hated the storyline.

i had a look at the cast and most of them are unknowns. jena malone will play her part well. for some reason i can imagine jude law as playing mr darcy ? =/

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
No point getting Colin Firth cos then it wot be a remake. I saw a "bride and prejudice" review today. Its like Pride and prejudice meets Bollywood...

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
gloria_b said:
Do we need another version so soon?
Why is it that when we finally come to a difinative movie version of a classic novel, somebody tries to replicate/better/condense it for the masses?? Example: Vanity fair....the BBC made an excellent version of this novel some years ago (well it's not like it was 20 years ago now is it?) and of course, the hollywood sharks are lurking in the wings. What do we get? An incredibly watered down version of thackeray's novel, that doesn't even include the character of Jos, which is a total outrage to devoted readers of this novel.

But back to pride and prejudice. Simon Langton has essentially captured the essence of jane austen's novel, by not attempting to squeeze it into two hours, but allowing the story to run its natural course. It is by far the most sucessful of previous adaptations, which certainly do not do justice to the story, eg Laurence Olivier's version which incidentally set the story in the Victorian era. But not only does the 1995 version do justice to Jane Austen's novel, it also has excellent actors to compliment the script. Colin Firth has captured the essence of Mr Darcy so perfectly that none other could better it. Certainly not this new Mr Darcy (last seen playing Felix Carbury in The Way We Live Now) by any stretch of the imagination. Jennifer Ehle plays an excellent Elizabeth in Langton's classic, portraying the playfulness and wit of the character. Keira Kightley (apologies for any incorrect spelling) is certainly not the right choice for the new Elizabeth Bennet. She does not have the experience, nor the soul to convince the audience that in fact she is doing more than reading lines. Jennifer Ehle WAS Elizabeth. Keira can only attempt to emulate...

Yes Langton's version was made 10 years ago....but we don't need another version. Leave what is great alone. Attempting to create a new and shorter version of Pride and Prejudice can only end in disaster a la Vanity Fair......or worse....

alien

HSC
Sarah168 said:
No point getting Colin Firth cos then it wot be a remake. I saw a "bride and prejudice" review today. Its like Pride and prejudice meets Bollywood...
is that any good? it looks funny!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Ick, they are going to butcher this classic novel! The BBC version is so correct and lovely (and Colin Firth is hot! ;) ), I bet in this one Lizzie and Mr. Darcy will have sex in the pond or something equally crass and hollywood.

And that girl as Lizzie: give me a break! Lizzie's supposed to be refined and intellectual, not some ditz thats acted a bloody teenage girl in a soccer film! Ugh, and whoever that is playing Mr. Darcy is fugly. I wouldnt want to see him stumble out of the pond at Wemberly wet, in a white shirt.

..I'm not going to see it out of principal! Give me the 7-hour BBC version any day!

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
ishq said:
Bride and Prejudice is like a remake of P&P - but indianised. It is by the lady who made Bend It Like Beckham. So, the story is the same, there is a Mr Darcy, but the setting is in some random town in India, and the female lead is by an Indian actress.

I hope its good....i liked BILB...
so is that movie in english, or in indian with subtitles ? and is that a new movie ?

rumour

HSC
Annegelic said:
so is that movie in english, or in indian with subtitles ? and is that a new movie ?
It's new & it's in english. It will be out on the 17th of next month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)