Pride and Predjudice and related texts stuff...whats crackin. (1 Viewer)

nickw...

HSC
N/A
For those of you doing Simon Langton's adaptation of P&P, what points do you think could be raised to relate it to your selected related texts? (and BTW what texts are you using?).

I'm using Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, a bad choice....because of the completly different settings, and themes, however, I'll base most of it on the similar social values.

Also...Can anybody suggest a relitivly simple 1800's text to use as as second related text? People have suggest shit like Jane ayre n other such, but the truth is, at the moment I dont really have the time, patience, or will to read it. Has anybody used Jane Austin's P&P (as opposed to simon langtons) as a related text?

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I don't know if you can use Jane Austen's P&P. It doesn't seem right. Wuthering Heights is good... I'm going to use that. I took me a bit to get through it, but otherwise, good.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Wuthering Heights is good I agree, we studied it in Yr 11.... perhaps you could tie your discussion together a bit more by linkingt Heathcliff and Frankenstein or something... I've never read Frankenstein so if this is no help disregard lol.

A good text I did with P&P was Bridget Jones's Diary... I know people will go "you have to do 19th century texts", but BJD is an appropriation of P&P... and Langton's text is too, so if there is one in the syllabus, it can't be wrong to do one as a related... it was really interesting because 19th century ideas are quite prevalent in BJD (marriage, family, wealth (Bridget's search for a better career), the place of women in society) and it is interesting to discuss with Langton's P&P...

The other related text I did was Thackeray's Vanity Fair.... a big big read, but not bad and very useful for I&S.

If you want something shorter to read, perhaps do a play like Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest as a related text.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Soph used an Ideal Husband and really liked it I think, so she might be able to give you some advice/help/stuff lol about that text.

jaffa

you could also try "the importance of being earnest"......but use the play, not the film. the film version takes too much for granted and doesnt deal with the way society operates in any great detail.

s2ophie

HSC
i agree with jaffa. The play is much better. Anything by Wilde is sufficient...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The play is a lot better, the movie is not very good and doesn't do the play justice.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Earnest is really good as a supplementary.. the movie is admittedly poor, but sufficient.

If u don't want to do a helluva lotta reading (or can't be bothered, as was in my case ^^) opt for the easy way and do a cartoon or a painting. A lot of the punch stuff has some pretty blatant criticism of social heirarchy/darwinism, and i used augustus egg's tryptich: past and present, which is a three-panel victorian morality painting. The techniques are all visual, and esp for the punch ones there's not too much to write about, but it definitely works when its the night b4 the exam and u don't have an extra text =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)