Previous knowledge for a Computer Science degree (1 Viewer)

uwr

HSC
N/A
Hi,

For a Comp Sci degree, would you be expected to know any knowledge or have some experience in this area like programming languages or something? Or can you go there blind as a complete beginner and be taught the very very basics?

Also, are the mathematics components of the degree very difficult? I do 4U maths but I am crap at it :(

Thanks!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think you are forced to take COMP1917 (the advanced subject) over 1911 as a comp sci student. So it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of experience with programming, but afaik they don't assume any knowledge. COMP1917 is even offered to talented year 11 students and iirc they didn't care if they had any experience with programming.

D94

HSC
N/A
Best to know C or some basics before starting. They teach it from the basics but COMP1917 gets hard very quickly especially for a beginner.

You have the option to do a lower level of maths but that is still similar to 4 unit.

froogle

HSC
N/A
No knowledge is required. The lecturers do a fantastic job of catering for new programmers so don't feel as though you will be disadvantaged in any way.
That said, any programming experience may be useful for the first week or two and it never hurts to be ahead.

ismeta

HSC
Like others have said, no, no previous experience is required. It will definitely help, but you can still do well even if you don't have prior experience. (I did it without experience in high school, still did well.)

The mathematics is okay. Normal maths is definitely manageable even if 4U isn't your thing, as long as you work hard you'll do well.

HSC
N/A
As most people have noted, we don't require any previous programming experience. However, we do push our students hard and you will cover a lot in the first few weeks. We pride ourselves on having the most technical computing degrees in Australia and producing top-level graduates, which you can't achieve if everything is easy!

Previous experience can be a double-edged sword. Having experience can help you at the beginning, but often people have taught themselves some bad habits which can be hard to break!

Some more information is at http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/study-options/first-year.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)