• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preperation for Commerce/Economics ... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, I'm assuming at the moment that I'll make it to either commerce or economics (with help of EAS upto 10 UAI, so I really only need 80 uai but I'm likely to get high 80s or if im lucky low 90s uai)- is there anything I can do to prepare?

- my subjects I did in HSC is general maths, stnadard english, business studies (only upto trial), chemistry, software design and development and information technology

any books? anything to read up on? I am really keen and want to go well in bachelor of commerce (or economics, if i end up in economics ill go well then transfer, but they both do same core 1st year subjects i read?);

i was considering tutoring myself 2u maths as well as getting friends to help me but would that be a waste of time, should I just enjoy these holidays? i dont mind working to prepare if it means better marks, but i will have alot of spare times and dont mind doing so :D thanks guys

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
you might/will struggle with QMA quantative methods course A, there's a B
A is maths based, B is statistics

you will most likely find the maths difficult because you only had general maths background, not saying that you can't do well, because you can easily do well with hard work
brushing up on some 2U is a great idea, even learning some basics

other than that, all other core subjects are textbook theory based, accounting, economics etc

you might also want to learn some economics, both prelim and HSC if you want to get head start. There isn't much you can do about accounting, unless you want to purchase the textbook which is 790pages and start reading :D

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
eas is 10+ uai? isnt it only 5 (or less) or has the system changed? o_0

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
you shouldn't rely on or depend on EAS, you will only suffer later on when you find that you can't handle the course

HSC
sukiyaki said:
eas is 10+ uai? isnt it only 5 (or less) or has the system changed? o_0
theres 2 methods, either you get 5 uai and then thats it, or you get "upto" 10 uai, however you are competing with other EAS students, sorry if i did 10+ thats misleading, ill edit it now

redslert said:
you might/will struggle with QMA quantative methods course A, there's a B
A is maths based, B is statistics

you will most likely find the maths difficult because you only had general maths background, not saying that you can't do well, because you can easily do well with hard work
brushing up on some 2U is a great idea, even learning some basics

other than that, all other core subjects are textbook theory based, accounting, economics etc

you might also want to learn some economics, both prelim and HSC if you want to get head start. There isn't much you can do about accounting, unless you want to purchase the textbook which is 790pages and start reading :D
you've nailed it into me that i must learn 2u thoroughly, which I am willing to do no problems; you sure about economics as well? (I'd have to spend ~$50 on the prelim and hsc book thats why)

when you say basics, do you mean only the first few arithmetic topics? or should I not bother / not worth doing the entire prelim/hsc 2u maths course

redslert said:
you shouldn't rely on or depend on EAS, you will only suffer later on when you find that you can't handle the course
I could of got the required UAI but I only really put the hard work in a little after my half yearlies (more towards trials); I can handle extensive workloads as i pushed myself during the HSC. I'll be fine dw ;D

Acid

HSC
I would definitely brush up on some maths. QMA isn't that difficult, but QMB (Statistics) is a killer.

Also, don't count on EAS to get you through. My first preference was Commerce/Law and I also had EAS privelages. I ended up gettin 97.7 as my UAI, and still didn't make it in even though I was less than 2 points away from the cutoff.

HSC
Hopefully economics and finance (I have to double major anyway right?)- I was considering if its possible to go really well first year commerce and trasfer to double degree with law (majoring in international law)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
well, no. commerce you can choose to double or single major.

Econ u must do economics as your major.

You'll need 97 uai + D average to transfer into law.

So if you say low 90 for uai, you'll need like a super duper HD average.

anyways, finance.. is basically maths. brush that up. Part of acct1b is like english. So i dunno.. get more practice in english too?

I was hoping you'd say info systems.. then your SDD and IT might be able to help.

HSC
can you do a double major for economics?

Can you do more than 2 majors? because I want to go in the workforce with a really impressive commerce degree, and I love working with computers; so my question is would I be able to do information systems, economics and finance?

I was looking into doing a few majors but I thought you can do only 2

HD AVERAGE~ jesus, that will be fun to achieve (I'll try)- what about if I just complete my commerce degree and go in law post graduate, do I still have needed that HD average during commercE?

everyone's saying "brush up" maths; do I just redo the entire 2u course? because the only maths I really did was general maths and I fail to see how that'll help in my degree (as it isnt recognised as a maths subject, can you blame them?)- so your definition of brush up is "learn the entire 2u maths course?"

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Ok, try and do 'series and sequences' of the 2 unit course. Thats VERY important to your understanding of qma and finance.

You can at most two majors(double major) in your b com / b eco degree..
i.e. can do a single major with a minor, but not 3 or more majors. (well, I guess you can stay another few years to do the more.. someone correct me on this.)

Difference is B com allows you to do ANY 2 majors.
B Eco allows double majors but one of them MUST be economics.

I don't have a clue about post grad entrys. :)

Transfers look at 50% uai + 50% WAM, frigid wrote a faq article on this somewhere...

Last edited:
HSC
Is a minor just not as extensive as a major, and you're saying I could do 2 majors and a minor?

I'm looking at Sequences and series atm, they don't require calculus knowledge or anything does it? I can jump straight too it?

Acid

HSC
Geez dude, you seem pretty keen on starting your degree. Trust me, it's not as exciting as it looks. I have final exams next week and feel like slitting my wrists - can't wait till it's over!

HSC
Dont ask me why but I found high school a waste, they dumb down a lot of concepts in any course and never really give you the full picture (well in courses I do) and I like the idea at uni that they don't hold back on that :uhhuh:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Series and sequences is pretty much on its own.

Oh, and you'll need calculas for qma too... they have an extension of that to a 4 unit concept.

u should also know basic y = mx+b operations.

commerce:
major/minor
major/major.

economics:
eco major/minor
eco major/major

Don't trust Acid :p, he's just stressed atm.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Casmira said:
Dont ask me why but I found high school a waste, they dumb down a lot of concepts in any course and never really give you the full picture (well in courses I do) and I like the idea at uni that they don't hold back on that :uhhuh:
You'd be surprised my friend...I've almost finished my degree and I feel like I haven't really learned much

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Minai said:
You'd be surprised my friend...I've almost finished my degree and I feel like I haven't really learned much
that's because you're an accountant :cool:

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm almost at the end and it doesn't feel like I've learnt that much either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)