Preparing for an essay!!! (1 Viewer)

BubbleHead

Okay.............I can prepare an essay before the exam but when i get to the exam the question is so different to my essay. How do you guys write your prepared essay on the day of the exam to suit the question they r asking?

Brad

Dont memorise an essay... just either a kinda plan or structure, or just paragraphs and leave the end to realte back to the question

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
exactly - the best way is just not to memorise an essay - know your material inside and out. heres my suggestion, take it or leave it:
-have a look at the prepared essay you spoke of. go through and list all the major points you make, all the techniques etc. then, see what connections can be made between the points (ie. how they link together). if you study this, then you'll have a thorough knowledge of all the major points and how they fit together. this then, is far easier to use to write an answer for the question asked then a prepared essay is to manipulate to the question.

zhongie

HSC
I'm against the whole memorised essay thing...partly because it's such a gamble...ie. the question is not one suited to your essay...and partly because mentally, you freka out if you forget bits, and so the whole exam you're all nervous.

Learn quotes, learn techniques, and practice essays. LINK your set text to your supplementary! LEarn how to write a GOOD essay. TOPIC sentences. Point the marker in the right direction. Be concise, don't waffle on about nothing.

Address the question! Always link back to the question!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
oh, and one more thing - dont think you have to start writing the minute that reading time is over in the hsc. 3 minutes spent jotting down the points that you're going to cover in the essay is 3 minutes well spent - this allows you to see if your essay will be properly balanced and organise the points so that your argument will flow well and progress logically.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
BubbleHead said:
Okay.............I can prepare an essay before the exam but when i get to the exam the question is so different to my essay. How do you guys write your prepared essay on the day of the exam to suit the question they r asking?
As everyone has said, dont memorise an essay.

The key point is to write essays no matter what the question, that you should know at least one aspect of that question.

The key is to have been well read, and invite debate, dont make it into a mere statement, try and engage the question, your views and the sources.

BubbleHead

Thanks guys for your suggestions. U guys are exactly right.i shouldn't memorise essays cause then i get nervous and forget everything.thanks guys...........now i would be okay during the test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)