Premier's Award vs. School Speech (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I've recently struck a slight dilemma...

The Premier's Awards are scheduled for Feb. 13 (according to a letter I got today), and afaik I also have a school speech (for dux) to present on the same day. I don't want to miss the Premier's Award Ceremony, but by the same token it's tradition for the dux of my school to return each year and deliver a speech. I don't know if I'll be able to contact my school principal either, since school doesn't resume until the end of Jan.

What do you guys think I should do? :confused:

P

pLuvia

Well since the Premier's Awards Ceremony is on the Feb 13th, you have enough time to tell the principal about your situation since teachers come back to school on the 30th of January but students start on 31st of January and 1st of February

Well if you can't contact the school then go to the Premier's Awards Ceremony then come back to the school and give the speech

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The school speech can be easily resheduled. It would be a pity to miss the Premier's award ceremony, i suggest you attend that, and try to organise alternative arangements with your school as soon as you can contact them. I'm sure they'll understand. (In fact they'll probally want you to be at the premier's ceremony)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
RSVP for the Premier's is Jan. 23 so I'm hoping I can contact the Principal somehow before then (he lives on the school campus coz I go to a Catholic Private school still under the system of Brothers).

The only problem with skipping this school ceremony is that it's a fairly big event (they book the local town hall each year)...they introduce the new Year 12s, new prefects, new captain etc. and they always invite the dux to present a short speech. I'm hoping that, if anything, I'd be able to say a few words at a morning assembly or else I'd feel really bad.

That said, the Premier's Award is a more high-profie event and is a definite one-off so I don't want to miss that either.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
See if you can write into the school, or drop in a little later in the month and leave a message at the office (the school office usually opens a few weeks before students come back). That way you should be able to get a response from your principal before the RSVP date.

I_F

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
I would've suggested to tap into the school system and get the Principal's address, but as he lives on campus, why not just rock up at his house? ;)

Personally, I'd go to the Premier's Award. Like Rafy said, they'd probably want you to go to the P.A. too.
Hasn't there been clashes like this in the past, then?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Well actualli they're both one off events.

And is this your Speech Day? If so, don't you get prizes and stuff on that day too?

My school's speech day is luckily on the 16th, also at town hall :p We usually start at around 9. Rehersal for Premiers doesnt start until 11:45. So yeah, perhaps pop in, give a speech, grab your awards and prize money and haul ass to Premiers :p

Congrats on Dux!

Which uni are you going to and which course? :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Airness said:
Well actualli they're both one off events.

And is this your Speech Day? If so, don't you get prizes and stuff on that day too?

My school's speech day is luckily on the 16th, also at town hall :p We usually start at around 9. Rehersal for Premiers doesnt start until 11:45. So yeah, perhaps pop in, give a speech, grab your awards and prize money and haul ass to Premiers :p

Congrats on Dux!

Which uni are you going to and which course? :)

Well, unfortunately my school's ceremony usually starts at around 1:30 and goes until about 3pm, so that's right in the middle of the Premier's Awards. If my speech was in the morning I'd be fine.

As for prizes...our Year 12 prizes were given on graduation last year, but the dux does get a shield and a trophy at the ceremony afaik.

This year (and for the following four years after that), I'll be at UNSW studying Com/Law :)

Alimoe_KG

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
This year (and for the following four years after that), I'll be at UNSW studying Com/Law :)
Me too! :)

Let's be best friends :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Well, I was originally going to suggest you request for a time change of your school speech day. You are the dux of the school and I'm sure the principal might be more inclined to change it for you if you explain your dilemna to him/her, and yeah you should try to contact him/her as soon as possible. If that's not possible, I suggest you ask your principal if you can give your speech first thing at 1:30, then hurry to the premier's award ceremony.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
go premier awards.

the school should know that u have an award ceremony that day anyway.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Premiers was in March last year i think.

In any case, the date does change.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Airness said:
Premiers was in March last year i think.

In any case, the date does change.
lol.
Of all the days that either my school or BOS could have chosen...they both had to choose Feb. 13 grrr.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol.
Of all the days that either my school or BOS could have chosen...they both had to choose Feb. 13 grrr.
It's a conspiracy to make you so frustrated you'll go to neither :p

elisabeth

HSC
At least you'll be around for them. I'll be away the whole year, so I'll miss the premier's ceremony, my dux speech at preso night in august and the open high school thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)