• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Subjects. Uni Courses. HELP! (1 Viewer)

CecilyMare

HSC
No, it goes like:
General Mathematics (2U)
Mathematics (2U)
Mathematics Extension 1 (1U/2U) where MX1 counts as 1U for '3 unit math' students, and 2U for '4 unit math' students.
Mathematics Extension 2 (2U)
er no people call math ext 1 3U and math ext 2 4U

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
er no people call math ext 1 3U and math ext 2 4U
Nope, what he said was correct. If you do Mathematics and Extension 1 that's 3 Units, hence why people call it 3 Unit Maths. If you do both Extension 1 and 2, then it counts as 4 Units hence why people call it 4 Unit Maths.

ReNG

HSC
Heys. I'm just a little confused. Everyone keeps saying your school's rank (_____ High School = ____ of state) doesn't count towards your ATAR or HSC. But if it doesn't matter what school do you go to, then why does your school rank matter? I thought it was only the state rankings that mattered.

Thanks.

Existential

HSC
N/A
It's called 'Advanced' by kids that think General is hard or kids that think their piss poor marks are ok because they're in the "advanced" course.

And unofficial doesn't mean shit. It is not advanced.
On my assessment task notices it reads:

SUBJECT: Mathematics (Advanced)

kyokaku92

HSC
Hellos,

I need help on what to do to receive the atar i need. I'm currently doing the subjects below for my preliminary.

English Standard

Mathematics (2U)
Information Processes & Technology (IPT)
Music 1
Business Studies

Fundamentals of English (1U)
Studies of Religion (1U)
Vietnamese Continuers
Screen & Media (Sound) [TVET]

TOTAL = 16 UNITS

I'm confused on what I should do for my HSC. My options are below
English Standard/Advanced
[I want to move to advanced for scaling purposes but i prefer my standard teacher]
Mathematics
IPT
Music 1
Business
Religion
Viet
[I don't plan on going serious for this, using it as backup for uni reasons]

TOTAL = 13 UNITS

English Standard/Advanced
[same as above]
Mathematics
IPT
Music 1
Business
Religion

[ drop viet, but business is okay, not VERY good at it]

TOTAL = 11 UNITS

English Standard/Advanced [same as above]
Mathematics
IPT
Music 1
Religion
Vietnamese

[ drop business, but viet isn't one of my strong points]

TOTAL = 11 UNITS

English Standard/Advanced [same as above]
Mathematics
IPT
Music 1
Business
Vietnamese

[ drop religion, eventhough im good at, i can concentrate on 10 units and viet still as backup ]

ATAR AIM = 92+

My ATAR aim is above, i was also wondering whether its possible to get the atar below with the subject considerations above, which one is best to choose. If its not even possible to get the atar i want with those subjects then i need advice on what to do. Thanks for reading/helping.
I didn't know it was possible to change from Standard to Advanced English in yr 12 (or have not read this correctly?)

On topic, I would suggest options 2 or 3 as you can decide which of business or viet you want to drop. I think it's a bit too early to start deciding which to drop since you're only halfway through yr 11. I reckon wait until you finish your yearlies before making the choice. Good luck

ReNG

HSC
It's possible to change from standard to advanced if you're excelling in standard and the teacher recommends you. Although at my school its rare...

muzeikchun852

HSC
Heys. I'm just a little confused. Everyone keeps saying your school's rank (_____ High School = ____ of state) doesn't count towards your ATAR or HSC. But if it doesn't matter what school do you go to, then why does your school rank matter? I thought it was only the state rankings that mattered.

Thanks.
in some way, school rank matters in some extent. the marks could be a difference of 5 marks between a selective school and a normal public school. but if u work hard for ur subject, it wont matter much.

beardedwoman

HSC
School ranks are just there as an indication of how strong or weak someone's cohort may be, as your cohort will likely affect your HSC mark unless you're an outlier (first by a long way or last by a long way). School ranks therefore are used as the basis of ESTIMATIONS of ATARs.

School ranks changes every year, and merely based off how many distinguished achievers there are at your school in comparison to the amount of exams sat. It doesn't affect your mark in any way. Who knows... maybe a school ranked tied 600 could jump to top 20 within a year (unlikely, but just to show that school ranks do not matter otherwise but rather your current cohort).

So in summary, your COHORT will most likely affect your HSC marks (unless you're an outlier), not the school rank.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
It's possible to change from standard to advanced if you're excelling in standard and the teacher recommends you. Although at my school its rare...
I'm not trying to be mean or harsh although my understanding of fundies of english was it was designed for students who were at the lower level of standard/esl english. whats your current rank in standard?
One student in my standard class moved to advance although he was ranked 2nd in both assessment tasks

t00l

HSC
My ATAR aim is above, i was also wondering whether its possible to get the atar below with the subject considerations above, which one is best to choose. If its not even possible to get the atar i want with those subjects then i need advice on what to do. Thanks for reading/helping.
well, with these subjects youre gonna have to be pretty good at them to get a 90+ atar. unless you are doing considerably well this year, these subjects are just going to bring you down

also what rank school since it will also matter a little (imo at least)

ReNG

HSC
I'm not trying to be mean or harsh although my understanding of fundies of english was it was designed for students who were at the lower level of standard/esl english. whats your current rank in standard?
One student in my standard class moved to advance although he was ranked 2nd in both assessment tasks
top 8 out of 98? my school doesnt give out rankings. they just give you a grade and only 8 people got a B and the rest got Cs and Ds (my school marks really hard on english). On the fundamentals subject, i wanted to do fundamentals because im crap at english (my definition of crap is 83 in school cert btw)

Last edited:

ReNG

HSC
well, with these subjects youre gonna have to be pretty good at them to get a 90+ atar. unless you are doing considerably well this year, these subjects are just going to bring you down

also what rank school since it will also matter a little (imo at least)
im only gonna tell you its in top 50. Im trying to conceal my identity. XD

ReNG

HSC
everyone can keep guessing but i'm not giving out anymore hints. xP

EDIT: @ harrisony: awwww. you do software design and development. i wanted to do that course. ><

Last edited:

ReNG

HSC
For anyone doing year 12 business.
What's the course like?
Does it involve more finance or does it involve more management etc.?
I'm considering of moving to physics... i'm not sure whether it's too late to change or not

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
EDIT: @ harrisony: awwww. you do software design and development. i wanted to do that course. ><
heh :p
For anyone doing year 12 business.
What's the course like?
Does it involve more finance or does it involve more management etc.?
I'm considering of moving to physics... i'm not sure whether it's too late to change or not
I don't think you would be allowed to change unless you want to catch up on the entire prelim year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)