Preliminary Report on the Scaling of the 2008 HSC w/ tables (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I've put something together in Excel to show the factor that the HSC marks were scaled by, for those who are interested. I've also made it so that you can compare two subjects' scaled factors by drop down boxes.

I haven't done this before so, I'm not sure if this way shows anything much or if it's useful, so any suggestions on improving it would be appreciated.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
jm01 said:
Does this mean that people can 'dumb down' for English and gain better results?
For others browsing this thread, the answer to this question can be found here.

lyounamu said:
lol, I doubt scaling for 4 unit maths would increase again for 2009 because from what I see, 2008 seems like the maximum scaled set of marks...
Yes, it is difficult for the scaled mean to go any higher. While the scaled mean of 44.5 in 2008 isn't the highest ever scaled mean, it is certainly one of the highest.

It means that, on average, the 3089 students who took the course averaged a scaled mark of 44.5/50 in Extension 1. There would need to be a very large difference between the performance of Extension 1 and Extension 2 students on the Extension 1 paper for the mean for Extension 2 to go any higher.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
jm01 said:
I've put something together in Excel to show the factor that the HSC marks were scaled by, for those who are interested. I've also made it so that you can compare two subjects' scaled factors by drop down boxes.

I haven't done this before so, I'm not sure if this way shows anything much or if it's useful, so any suggestions on improving it would be appreciated.
So what does the P90, P75 stuff stand for?

dp624

HSC
oh wow those are some amazing stats haha. I guess it's a bit harder to get a UAI of 99 or above without 4u.
I think the effort/scaled marks ratio for that is one of the best =P

Px is the xth percentile. like, the 99th percentile got, say, 98

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I might try and make use of previous years scaling and do something in excel to show the trend. Might try tomorrow or something.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I know that this may be an irritating question but I still can't access the tables. Whenever I click them it says:

'The file is damaged and cannot be repaired.'

Are the tables working for any of you guys? I know that I have already asked this question before so if anyone would care to help me, I would really appreciate it. Perhaps someone can give me a link to the website on which the tables are originally found.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dragonmaster262 said:
Damn! It still isn't opening! Oh well, guys don't worry about it. I'm a 10er I don't really need to know.
Are you sure? Can you use Adobe at all?

I am not sure if it's your computer's fault or the internet's fault.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
lyounamu said:
Are you sure? Can you use Adobe at all?

I am not sure if it's your computer's fault or the internet's fault.
Adobe is working for all other PDF files. Whenever I try to open the tables a blank new tab appears, and then a message pops up which says:

'File is damaged and cannot be repaired.'

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Try right-clicking and saving the files first before you open them.

It might be the case that your system is trying to open the file before it's finished downloading - or that it's only downloading part of the file.

Table A3 is ~95 KB and the others are a bit less. You could also try updating Adobe Reader.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Lazarus said:
Try right-clicking and saving the files first before you open them.

It might be the case that your system is trying to open the file before it's finished downloading - or that it's only downloading part of the file.

Table A3 is ~95 KB and the others are a bit less. You could also try updating Adobe Reader.
It's working now! Thanks Lazarus!:D

AdrianM

HSC
Hmmm... Some interesting stats.

I have a question but I thought it didn't really warrant a new thread so I may as well post in here seeing as I believe it's related to scaling.

I finished 5/18 at the end of school in Drama, and my mate finished 10/18. I found out after the results were released however that I was the only one of my cohort to get a B6, and my mate who was ranked 10th ended up 2nd after me with a final mark of 89. How does that work? Was it that my exam mark was greater than the average of the 4 in front of me, allowing me to overtake them? Same deal with my mate?

Any help in clearing that up would be greatly appreciated.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
AdrianM said:
Hmmm... Some interesting stats.

I have a question but I thought it didn't really warrant a new thread so I may as well post in here seeing as I believe it's related to scaling.

I finished 5/18 at the end of school in Drama, and my mate finished 10/18. I found out after the results were released however that I was the only one of my cohort to get a B6, and my mate who was ranked 10th ended up 2nd after me with a final mark of 89. How does that work? Was it that my exam mark was greater than the average of the 4 in front of me, allowing me to overtake them? Same deal with my mate?

Any help in clearing that up would be greatly appreciated.
yup, ur examination mark must've been higher than the first 4 people

surfy_11

HSC
i Have no idea how to read table A3
Anyone care to help :) :)
xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)