Preliminary mathematics marathon (1 Viewer)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
lol. how did i miss that, anyways do we learn this in uni
Not really, but you encounter a similar sort of thing in MATH1251. Bounded from above and increasing or bounded from below and decreasing will always converge. sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt(1+...))) is an alternative representation.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Not really, but you encounter a similar sort of thing in MATH1251. Bounded from above and increasing or bounded from below and decreasing will always converge. sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt(1+...))) is an alternative representation.
I liked the telescoping series in first year. Interesting stuff :p

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lol. how did i miss that, anyways do we learn this in uni
I learnt a bit of continued fractions in one of my courses (MATH2400 finite maths UNSW), probably got taught it for 2 hours in the entire sem though.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The Indian maths genius Ramanujan was an expert in continued fractions if my memory serves me correctly

HSC
Uni Grad
Wendy and Kent make coffee, Wendy pours in milk immediately then waits for it to cool, Kent waits for it to cool then adds milk. Whose coffee will be cooler after the same amount of time? Support your answer mathematically.

G

genius4

Wendy and Kent make coffee, Wendy pours in milk immediately then waits for it to cool, Kent waits for it to cool then adds milk. Whose coffee will be cooler after the same amount of time? Support your answer mathematically.
Newtons law of cooling, greater temperature differential, the faster it cools. So whoever keeps the coffee hotter the longest will end up with the cooler coffee at the end.

So kent will have the cooler coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)