Prelim Extension English- Utopia (1 Viewer)

tash1601

HSC
We have to write a 7 minute speech on "the appropriations of utopia" and we need a supplementary text which cant be v for vendetta or any of the other books we have for extension english.
Anybody got any tips?
Any comments on Utopia by Thomas More?

I used to love english but now i really am starting to hate it.

I also study Advanced English, economics, business studies, society and culture, studies or religion 1 and modern history. thanks

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Also doing Utopia for Ext. english and that book is really hard to understand.

kawaiinlove

HSC
I'm doing the same course as you. I only just started reading Utopia the other day but I did some work on it last year. All we basically had to get across is that there is no such thing as a 'Utopia', or rather, no one can create one because it is impossible to meet everyone's needs at once. For example, not everybody agrees on communism so if it was introduced, there would be conflict. So the bottom line being, trying to construct a 'Utopia', or perfect world, begins with a heap of different views and ultimately ends up being a 'Dystopia', or a condition of life that is rather miserable because the range of preferences clash.

tash1601

HSC
I'm doing the same course as you. I only just started reading Utopia the other day but I did some work on it last year. All we basically had to get across is that there is no such thing as a 'Utopia', or rather, no one can create one because it is impossible to meet everyone's needs at once. For example, not everybody agrees on communism so if it was introduced, there would be conflict. So the bottom line being, trying to construct a 'Utopia', or perfect world, begins with a heap of different views and ultimately ends up being a 'Dystopia', or a condition of life that is rather miserable because the range of preferences clash.
yeah i hope thats all we really need to know, but I guess we still have to expand and explain. Are you doing a film study of speculative fiction in term 2?

kawaiinlove

HSC
yeah i hope thats all we really need to know, but I guess we still have to expand and explain. Are you doing a film study of speculative fiction in term 2?
Not that I know of, we haven't really had set work so far besides some sheets. Our teacher usually gives us a topic and we write a story about it. At the moment we're looking at the novel 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)