Prelim courses for uni (1 Viewer)

ThomasF

Hit the Dew
HSC
This is most likely a stupid question, though I would appreciate the answers;

For Physics and Business management at university, for both (or either) of these courses, would you assume that Advanced mathematics or higher would be needed as an HSC course to be accepted into the course (in general) at the University level?

I am currently doing Advanced Maths, but want to drop the fucker. My concern is, that if I do drop it (down the general maths) I won't be able to get into either course.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
If you want to read physics you will need to be good at mathematics. It's nothing like the HSC. It's all maths.

If you do general maths you will not be prepared at all. I mean, you'll basically be fucked. The only unis in NSW worth studying physics at are UNSW and USYD; UNSW has a few more concessions for people not up to speed with the maths AFAIK but if you come to USYD you'll be rooted basically; ext 1 is assumed and a bridging course won't really help. You can get by without EX1 but you will need mathematics to know what the hell they are talking about.

There's not prerequisite as such (just get the required UAI) but it's assumed knowledge (up to ext 1 level).

HSC
if you get the uai you should still get straight in. im pretty sure they dont take your subjects into account unless youre borderline in terms of uai.

if you want to do physics next year you will encounter much two unit maths and higher (they really step up physics maths in uni as the hsc course is seirously dumbed down). business not so much maths i'd say itd be of the general maths level (havent really studied it myself so i wouldnt know).

you can drop it and then do bridging courses before uni if you really want to drop maths but its better to just keep two unit maths as your non serious subject for background.

ThomasF

Hit the Dew
HSC
I should point out, currently I am doing physics as an HSC course, And I find it to be incredibly easy (mind you, I only got like 70% in the half yearly since I didn't study)

Can you please explain how you mean that physics takes on a much stronger maths approach? You mean things like calculus come into effect?

Well, its good to know that uni's do not tend to look at your prelim courses before entry. So, say (example) the university of queensland has a UAI minimum of 75% for a bussiness management course, If my UAI is 85%, regardless of ex1, 2U or general maths, I would be accepted?

The same applies for Physics. Say the general physcis course has a min UAI of 80% and I score a 85%, I would be accepted, regardless of my previous courses?

Just seeking a little confirmation

And thanks for the help so far

HSC
ThomasF said:
I should point out, currently I am doing physics as an HSC course, And I find it to be incredibly easy (mind you, I only got like 70% in the half yearly since I didn't study)

Can you please explain how you mean that physics takes on a much stronger maths approach? You mean things like calculus come into effect?

Well, its good to know that uni's do not tend to look at your prelim courses before entry. So, say (example) the university of queensland has a UAI minimum of 75% for a bussiness management course, If my UAI is 85%, regardless of ex1, 2U or general maths, I would be accepted?

The same applies for Physics. Say the general physcis course has a min UAI of 80% and I score a 85%, I would be accepted, regardless of my previous courses?

Just seeking a little confirmation

And thanks for the help so far
*uai is a rank not a percentage.

*you will be accepted if you get the uai.

*i dont want to deter you from doing physics if you love it but be warned:

hsc physics is dumbed down. when you get to uni you start learning real physics with the maths side of it (and lots of it). calculus is a big part of physics because a lot of physics deals with rates of change with many different variables. you will see intergation signs and the like everywhere. plus if you decide to do physics in uni you need to do a maths topic (in first year uni at least) which is may be just as hard if not harder than two unit. plus a lot of physics is higher level problem solving skills as well. IMO if youre not mathematically minded you will struggle.

whatever you do just dont go thinking uni physics will be just like hsc physics because it just isnt. its so different. and also, if you are going onto uni physics whatever you do don't drop two unit maths!

hope that helps :wave:

Last edited:

ThomasF

Hit the Dew
HSC
Cheers for the reply wata.

Well, I have dropped down from 3U maths to advanced, now considering the drop to general :p

I have never put in more then 10 minutes study for maths, in my life, ever. I would assume that in Uni, doing maths by itself (or maybe sided with business management) I would actually spend quite a lot of time doing the work.

I don't really know, Thanks for the heads up though. I actually found the calculus course to be quite easy (differentiation, intergration etc.) it was the one section of maths in quite some time I did well in.

Would love to hear input from other people too.

biggie walls

HSC
You dont need good maths for Business Management... just need to be able to read some colourful statistics telling u how much profit u raped out of everyone for the past quarter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)