Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (2 Viewers)

QZP

HSC
We should do more questions relating to dotpoints where students often forego e.g.
- outline the role of a chemist employed in a named industry or enterprise, identifying the branch of chemistry undertaken by the chemist and explaining a chemical principle that the chemist uses
- identify the need for collaboration between chemists as they collect and analyse data

Anyone have any past HSC/trial paper questions on these!?? IM REALLY SCARED :(

Also, what's the difference between the first dotpoint mentioned above with this:
- gather, process and present information from secondary sources about the work of practising scientists identifying: the variety of chemical occupations, a specific chemical occupation for a more detailed study
I have another question guys, do we have to know general branches of chemistry and what chemists do in those fields?

HSC
I have a brilliant question, it would almost certainly put off most of the state.

Explain the process of addition polymerisation with diagrams depicting the three main steps that occur.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I'm not sure, they seem very similar.

Anyways to answer first dot point.

John Smith is an analytical chemist who works in the Haber industry monitoring the contents of the reaction vessel. The chemical principle that he employs is that of solubility where he uses gas liquid chromatography to monitor the contents of the gas as it is passed over a liquid stationary phase. John Smith, being an analytical chemist must ensure that the ratio of nitrogen to hydrogen is 1 to 3 to ensure maximum efficiency as well as yield production, and must constantly monitor the vessel and ensure that there is no carbon monoxide or sulfur as it poisons the catalyst magnetite, and thus halting the process as the catalyst has to be replaced and as a result reducing efficiency and yield production.
is there a chance of us getting a 4-5 marker on this in the hsc? I've seen it in some trials and it's so retarded. :/

HSC
is there a chance of us getting a 4-5 marker on this in the hsc? I've seen it in some trials and it's so retarded. :/
4-5 marks, probably not, if they do, that means BOS really wants to f*** with us, however max 3 marks ive seen.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
4-5 marks, probably not, if they do, that means BOS really wants to f*** with us, however max 3 marks ive seen.
Lol, would you write the same thing for 3 marks? What would get that extra mark?

HSC
Lol, would you write the same thing for 3 marks? What would get that extra mark?
What i have written i think would get 3/3, however if it was out of 4 or 5, I would probably bullshit more on the presence of carbon monoxide and sulfur and blab on about how companies want to profit and maximise their production and also the nitrogen to hydrogen ratio. That might reach a 5 if im lucky, but i wouldn't stress, they won't ask a 5 marker. Max 3.

They are more inclined to ask a question about collaboration.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I have a brilliant question, it would almost certainly put off most of the state.

Explain the process of addition polymerisation with diagrams depicting the three main steps that occur.
Why would this put people off? Unless of course they'd learned coordination polymerisation for HDPE as the polymerisation reaction, in which case the three step thing would throw them.

QZP

HSC
Nice, just looked at it. But I'm more worried about like 7 marker Q's lol. Also, what does a polymer chemist have to do with colloids and surface coatings wtf that doesn't sound like polymers T_T
Anyone can answer bold?

Another Q: Describe how hydrogen and nitrogen gas is obtained for the Haber Process (3)

MrBeefJerky

HSC

Isn't it just Initiation, Propagation and Termination?

HSC
Why would this put people off? Unless of course they'd learned coordination polymerisation for HDPE as the polymerisation reaction, in which case the three step thing would throw them.
I personally think not many people remember the diagrams for the initiation, propagation and termination steps.
The peroxide initiator first, and then splits forming a free radical etc etc.

Maybe im wrong

HSC
Anyone can answer bold?

Another Q: Describe how hydrogen and nitrogen gas is obtained for the Haber Process (3)
You barely provide answers! You answer your question (bold) I want to see how you would do it :D

QZP

HSC
Okay I will answer the next Q someone posts. But I ask my own Q's because I'm not too sure myself so please :p

HSC
A student carried out an investigation to analyse lawn fertiliser. The student weighed out 1.00 g of fertiliser containing 24.0 % sulfur (S) and dissolved it in water. 100 mL of 0.20 mol/L barium chloride solution was then added and a precipitate formed.
(a) Calculate the theoretical percentage by mass of sulfate in the fertiliser.

Everyone have a go at this calculation. I personally thought it was stupid. Nonetheless it is a question ahaha, have a go :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)