Prac Exam (1 Viewer)

melllyy

HSC
this may be a broad question, but, my prac exam is on motors and generators and ideas to implementation. we have only jus started ideas and have finished cathode rays, and finished all of motors and generators. what would be the most likely pracs to be in this prac exam from motors and generators? and also for ideas, we did this experiment about resistance and stuff like that, so that could be in it but i dont know? so does anyone have any ideas what could be in it?

felixcthecat

HSC
does the practical actually require you to know things from the two topics or are they just concepts from the two topics which simply require you to follow the method provided in the exam..? If it's the latter, then just refresh your physics practical skills..

graphing, finding gradients (careful with any 10? while calculating the gradient in the graph), dependent/independent variables, reliability/validity, finding units for the gradient, know all the points in writing up practicals (aims, method, equipment, risk assessment.....), calculating error margins, proving true a relationship in a given equation...

proving true a relationship in an equation is like the basis of all practicals tho.. so u need to kno what to graph (just incase it's not given)

besides from that i dunno how u'd study for a practical exam? =Z

maesterxen

HSC
Exactly one year later again (saw this thread today and couldnt help myself). What was the prac, I have one on friday and I'm looking at all the different things that could be asked.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Ok: If he has only done cathode rays, any 'prac' on that is out of the question, other than if he is given data of discarge tubes and has to identify what causes differernt patterns (pressure) etc or label one. Not really a prac activity.

My guess woudl be that it is demonstating either the motor effect, Faradays law or Len'zs law as these experiements are all reasonably quick to complete, schools have the necessary materials in abundance and explanations/answers can be quite indepth to test a students knowldgee.

gagay

HSC
N/A
melllyy said:
this may be a broad question, but, my prac exam is on motors and generators and ideas to implementation. we have only jus started ideas and have finished cathode rays, and finished all of motors and generators. what would be the most likely pracs to be in this prac exam from motors and generators? and also for ideas, we did this experiment about resistance and stuff like that, so that could be in it but i dont know? so does anyone have any ideas what could be in it?
Could be that you may get to make a motor using some simple bits like aluminium pie plate for communtators, a bit of stiff wire and cork to make armature. Then some insulated wire to make the coils over the cork etc Place some magnets at the side and pass current through the wire with transformer pack. Need to keep it balanced to spin properly and use more magnets rather than more current to get it going. ( current makes heat and stuffs the aluminum or other metal used)
May have to label a diagram , explain the parts, respond to some questions about the skills outcomes ( listed in the Physics syllabus in the part that no-one reads.) Theres about 14 or 15 of them and there are a number that are relevant to the prac , even down to safety.

Maybe you could be given a kit motor that has to be put together and made to work. That would be better. The communators are always the tricky bits. Take care there and you rock in quick time. Can't afforsd to mess around too much thryiing to solve stuff. Commutators and magnets n top S, no simple mistakes.
Even a small battery will be enough

Try the "Beakman Motor " or other model electric motor searches on the net

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)