Powerplay? (1 Viewer)

freakofcool

Anyone else doing Powerplay/Julius Caesar? Any suggestions for some related texts? I've thought of some films but we can't do them for our assessment since we're already doing The Last Castle...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i'm doing powerplay with 1984, and i've got a list of 'recommended' extra texts from my teacher... (??)

i don't really know if it'll suit, but do u want a look?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It's tops and it doesn't take long to read, either.

freakofcool

Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
i'm doing powerplay with 1984, and i've got a list of 'recommended' extra texts from my teacher... (??)

i don't really know if it'll suit, but do u want a look?
Yeah, if it's not a bother. I have an assessment due in two weeks and I want to start sometime this week or I'll definately be lazy and leave it last minute!

Originally posted by christ_ine
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It's tops and it doesn't take long to read, either.
I'll have a look at that. Thanx.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
"Wag the Dog" - it's about political manipulation. It can be related to Mark Antony's speech and manipulation of the Plebians.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hehe.. we're not gonna need powerplay texts till the trial..
but here were some off the list i can remember off the top of my head..

wag the dog (movie; power of media)
erin brochovich (movie; power of individual)
the crucible
to kill a mockingbird
brave new world
lord of the flies
watergate (movie)
yes minister (if u can find copies...)

u should try looking for war propaganda posters as well.. they're pretty good..
like, from the 1930s or from the 1960s or whenever...

or political cartoons.. also quite good to analyse =)

freakofcool

Thanx +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ and BaByDoLL11^^! I'll have a look at them. I needed the texts for that assessment task due in 11 days now... :eek: I usually don't start til last minute so I'm happy I have some ideas for texts!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by BaByDoLL11^^
"Wag the Dog" - it's about political manipulation. It can be related to Mark Antony's speech and manipulation of the Plebians.
also bush's speech after sep11... how he uses the power of rhetorics etc to manipulate the audience. can also relate to mark antony's speech.

Emmie

i just did a powerplay essay today
and i used
' The chocolate war ' because my year eleven teacher told us to keep it after we studied it (very useful)
And also the Prime ministers address to the nation from the war on iraq is really good ( ay www.pm.gov.au)
Anyway!!
Hope that helps?

freakofcool

Thanx everyone! I might actually look at 'The Chocolate War' but for now I'm going with a Buffy ep... I know how there aren't a lot of Buff fans on these forums but I think that there is PP in it! :p

Fiona

freakofcool: I am a huge Buffy fan... Sort of slightly obsessed ;)

Which episode are you doing?

edit: hi, sorry to interrupt, but there's a nice thread for Buffy-ites in the Entertainment section =)

Last edited by a moderator:

freakofcool

Originally posted by Fiona
freakofcool: I am a huge Buffy fan... Sort of slightly obsessed ;)

Which episode are you doing?

edit: hi, sorry to interrupt, but there's a nice thread for Buffy-ites in the Entertainment section =)
I don't know if I couldsay I'm a HUGE fan but my sister definately is! And that makes me subconsciously (sp?) think about it! :D :p

I was thinking of doing Graduation Day: Parts 1 & 2. But I couldn't find a copy so I'm doing the Buffy VS Dracula episode.

When I was actually trying to find GD1&2, I realised that Buffy eps have a lot of powerplays in it! Weird!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)