Powerplay Texts (1 Viewer)

Alexandra=^..^=

HSC
Along with my prescribed text of "Antony and Cleopatra" i am looking for other texts to use in my essays. I wanted strong texts that had a lot of depth to them, so there would be a lot to write about. Does anyone have any information on the films "V for Vendetta" or "Gladiator" as texts for powerplay? If not, does any one know of a good website or book that might help me?:confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Also, wondering... Am i allowed to use other prescribed powerplay texts that i am not currently studying in my essay, like "1984" and "Antony and Cleopatra" together?

M

maria65

"WAG THE DOG" film is really good for political powerplay. though i cant rememba the director. Finding a song is really good 2 4 sexual as you can fully give it your own meaning and you will actually enjoy it.

Alexandra=^..^=

HSC
Thanks Maria, i will absolutley look into "Wag the Dog." What kind of song would you suggest for sexual powerplay? (Any particular artist, or theme to a song?) I am thinking maybe Savage Garden "Gunning Down Romance"?

M

maria65

Alexandra=^..^= said:
Thanks Maria, i will absolutley look into "Wag the Dog." What kind of song would you suggest for sexual powerplay? (Any particular artist, or theme to a song?) I am thinking maybe Savage Garden "Gunning Down Romance"?
I was thinking savage garden too! lol, but maybe two beds and a coffee machine. Here r the lyrics. See how its really shows the male has complete power over the female, so much so that she even has to avoid being in his presence.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two Beds and A Coffee Machine [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And she takes another step
Slowly she opens the door
Check that he is sleeping
Pick up all the broken glass and furniture on the floor
Been up half the night screaming now it's time to get away
Pack up the kids in the car
Another bruise to try and hide
Another alibi to write
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another ditch in the road
You keep moving
Another stop sign
You keep moving on
And the years go by so fast
Wonder how I ever made it through
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And there are children to think of
Baby's asleep in the backseat
Wonder how they'll ever make it through this living nightmare
But the mind is an amazing thing
Full of candy dreams and new toys and another cheap hotel
Two beds and a coffee machine
But there are groceries to buy
And she knows she'll have to go home
[/FONT]
You keep moving
Another stop sign
You keep moving on
Wonder how I ever made it through
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another bruise to try and hide
Another alibi to write
Another lonely highway in the black of night
But there's hope in the darkness
You know you're going to make it
[/FONT]
Keep moving
Another stop sign
You keep moving on
Silent fortress built to last
Wonder how I ever made it
[/FONT]

THe Gunning Down Romance is more personal powerplay i reckon. But still ask your teacher and good luck!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
here are some valid texts you would like:

Cruel Intentions
House of Cards (BBC series)
any computer strategy game - concentrate on the storyline.
a book on the strategy of chess, or Chess itself.
Shade (a hustler/poker based movie)
Lord of the Flies...maybe
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
any political cartoon displaying political dominance. e.g. think about little johnny howard licking president bush's feet LOL

hope this helps!

Alexandra=^..^=

HSC
WOW so much information on powerplay! Thanks Mountain Dew, this is truely fantastic and i really appreciate all the help you've given me.
Be seeing you,
Alexandra

kandrews123

HSC
try one of kimon merengo's cartoons, they often depict scenes of war and dictators, i recently looked at "dictators all" by him and it was focused on mussolini and other fascists who looed up to him such as hitler, kemal ataturk etc. to fully understand the cartoon though i needed to research different symbols and things he used in it, he uses a lot of symbolism and so i was left researching roman and greek symbols of power and world fascist dictators but that fits in well with my ancient history course so it was pretty interesting. a lot of my friends used newspaper reports and other texts but one other really good text my friend did was the picture book The Rabbits by marsden.

u can use basically anything for powerplay as ive seen so yeah..hope that helps..

Alexandra=^..^=

HSC
Thanks guys, i think that with all this help, i am pretty much set.
One question: Is V for Vendetta REALLY in the extension course.:confused: Because i am studying the extension 1 course and V for Vendetta has never come up. Unless it is being studied in the other modules. I do Postmodernism.
Pity, i would really like to use that text.:worried:

"God is a comedian playing to an audience to afraid to laugh" - Voltaire

~pRiNcEsS~

HSC
i dont think V for Vendetta is in the ext1 course as i do retreat from the global and we dont study it plus i havent seen it under any of the other electives. i was recommended not 2 do it tho cos apparently a lot of ppl will use it this yr but if u can do it well i say go ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)