power play + nineteen eighty-four (1 Viewer)

loz987654321

HSC
hey...this is my first post.
For our HSC Module C that we are starting next term "Representation And Text", the theme is Power Play, and the set text is George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.
Does anyone have any tips, or help for me? I am a little bit stuck?
I would appreciate any help...
I would be so grateful if you could PM me some pointers.

[[I'll be putting up my Othello forum soon, to help everyone with all the stuff I had to do in yr 11, cuz its so hard...and thats why i need help]]

benedict

HSC
hey there honestly
i dont know much, i would love to help but i need as much help as u
sorry not much point even replying but i am strggling with it too best of luck ♥

holden4ever89

HSC
Ok, prepare for a simple, simple overview. Believe me, once you understand the basics - all you need is specific examples and you can make your answer more indepth. Im going to talk about 1984 because it is what i am studying.

1. THE RUBRIC:

- Representations of power

Examples include the division of the parties -Inner, Outer and Proles. Propaganda and its manipulation of history. 'Big Brother' and how his power is upheld - this is done through fear and control. They live in constant fear of accusation of 'thought-crime, sex-crime, face-crime', vaporisation etc. Goldsteins book, believed to be their only means of rebellion, even that is a falsehood of the party.

- Interplay of power

This is mostly shown in the text through the characters and their relationships. There is an interplay between all 3 divisions - inner, outer parties and the proles. The powerplay that occurs between Julia and Winston is symbolic as they embody values of Orwells context and polar-opposites. Julia is seen as the ideal party member, involved in the anti-sex league and devoted to Big Brother. Yet her and Winston engage in a sexual relationship, because it is the only aspect of life that big brother cannot control.

- Portrayals of power

How is power explored in the text. This is the techniques aspect of the module. Orwell uses symbolism, descriptive imagery and a unique control of language. Consider the control that is exerted on language itself - the negation are gradually reducing the english language.

- Power resides within the people

The text adheres to this belief, through its portrayal of the proles, but looks at it from the angle of inabilty through ignorance. The sad irony is that the proles are the only ones with any real power, the power of the 'masses, but they are completly naive. It remains within the belief - the party only give them enough power to keep them happy, if they took everything the would revolt. In a political sense - no, they have no power. In the sense of freedom and expression - yes they do.

No matter what, the question will be based on representation and meaning around these main points.

Then it goes a little further. What they want to see is WHY. Why does Orwell use the techniques that he does and why does he explore these themes? CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT!!!

Orwell wrote 1984 just at the end of world war two. He wanted it to serve as a warning to readers. Hitler and Stalin had ruled two of the most extreme authoritarian governements of all time. Plus Orwell himself had fought against fascist regime's in Spain. So Orwell had experienced the abuse of the power that resides within politics and people (point in the rubric). Orwell despised the politics of the leaders he saw rise to power in the countries around him, and what they did to the people. Think of Big Brother as a fusing of Stalin, Hitler....a symbol for everything that can go wrong. Orwell also experienced the onslaught of propaganda during the war and he was angered with its manipulation of history and language.

For the module you also need your own text. Mine is 'V for Vendetta' simply because it explores the totalitarian state from a modern context. So it embodies Orwellian themes, but in a modern context. So its possible to talk powerplay in a modern context and its transgression since Orwell's time.

A few points from the text that are simple but vital to talk about -

1. Role of Media - The text is filled with the furthest extreme on the spectrum of propaganda. Tele-screens in every-room, hate-week etc. Who has the power to turn of these screens, who is being watched? The sad thing about Winston is that his job is to create this deceptive propaganda - and it ultimatley leads to his downfall.

2. Setting - He uses London, mostly because he can capitalize on the first hand destruction that Londoners experienced. He can evoke the atmosphere of a war-torn community. Its one that a modern reader can still, geographically connect with.

3. Language, Media and Propaganda - i spoke about this earlier

4. Complete destruction of man - Winston and his interrogation. The use of his phobia (rats) to finally bring upon his betrayal. Big Brother even controls death, using this against Winston. In death Winston could retain his dignity and freedom found with Julia. Instead the reality is much worse as he becomes a subservient party member, loyal and in love with Big Brother. He is no longer a man with desires and thought. He completely imbues the parties ideology.

" I write with the desire to push the world in a certain direction. To alter ones idea of the society we are striving after."
This is my favourite quote from Orwell. I think its humorous because in a way he is joking about the power that his writing is able to exert.

I apologise for the incrediably generalised, simplistic over-view that was. I missed out a lot of things but im not about to type up a whole module.

Benedict, i think you have a special kinda guy in your class - best vice captain and schoolies buddy there is. Give him a call, and go study at his house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)