Power in Society (1 Viewer)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I'm figuring out a first-year set of GOVT subjects and for Sem 2 I'm leaning towards Power in Society, mainly because the alternative is Geopolitics, which I've heard bad things about. Has anyone done this subject? What did you think of it?

cimbom

HSC
I would argue that I've heard worse things about Power in Society. There's more focus upon domestic issues, like human rights regarding Indigenous people in Power in Society. I did Geopolitics and I really really liked it. The lecturer (Diarmuid Maguire) is excellent and the content is very diverse. You study everything from the invasion of Iraq to fishing laws to the economic growth of China.

[I will attach the unit of study outline for geopolitics 2006 if i'm able to find it.. unfortunately I don't have the outline for power in society though.]

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Thanks for that. Geopolitics does sound somewhat more interesting than Power in Society, but I try not to trust any course description too much since a bad experience with Commerce in years 9 and 10. That was physically painful.

cimbom

HSC
Yeah i guess the course outline wouldn't be very helpful.. you could always go to lectures for both units in first week and then confirm what you want after that?

You can also have a look at the content of the readings through http://opac.library.usyd.edu.au/ if you search for the unit of study.

HSC
ok...i think i should step in here on behalf of power and society. your choice between these two subjects is very much dependent on your personal interest. if you enjoy arguing the morality & so forth behind the social structure of your immediate surroundings..then by all means take this course..its nurtures & challenges your way of thinking.

I cant say much about geopolitics..all i've heard are that it wasn't very entertaining. However it gives you a good base to build on should you choose to do World Politics. which i learnt when it was much too late!!

bustinjustin

HSC
Generally, don't expect too much from first year Government, and only then will you be pleasantly surprised - no doubt the content sounds fascinating on paper, in the handbook, but often people find the work tedious and uninspiring (for the record I did Australian Politics and World Politics, so this probably isn't really that helpful).

But yeah, the general consensus is that it gets much better in second year (I hope so anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)