Potentially bad UAI? (1 Viewer)

Thunderbolt

HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could provide their wise words of wisdom and tell me what UAI I should expect.

I really want to join the NSW Police Force, so anything better than 66 is welcome. :)

English (Standard): 42/100 (5th of 10)
General Mathematics: 44/100 (8th of 9)
Design Technology: 84/100 (6th of 9)
Legal Studies: 61/100 (8th of 12)
Software Design Development: 71/100 (2nd of 3)
VET Information Technology: Unknown/100 (2nd of 5) Wasn't given the mark.

I used the "Assessment ranking shown to date" figures rather than my "position in the group". I hope it isn't bad news.

Thanks.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
your ranks are a bit below average, so you should work hard on your remaining exams to have any hope of getting 66+ for policing.
It looks unlikely at this stage, but still dont lose hope. General maths wont be counted at this stage. English is going to drag you down, so i guess well have to wait and see how you go when you get your results.

:.* Mardi *.:

HSC
Hey, Thunderbolt.
I'm considering joining the Police Force too, and I too have pretty average marks, but I'm smart. I just can't seem to be able to do anything right on tests and study just doesn't work for me.... Which sucks, because I know the UAI is 66, which is attainable for me. But i've just slipped over the past two years. Sick of School, etc. Not interested in it anymore....

What I was planning to do after I finish was do a TAFE course, which would be computers, (i'm pretty good in that area) which will aid the Adminstration skills in the office, but also, keep my fitness level up. The course and staying active could take about a year and a bit. (You just need to be pretty fit to suit the PSA.)

So, after all that, and doing my Senior First aid certificate then I would drop my application through to the Academy. You may have have idea of applying for a UNI (Charles Sturt or UWS) though. The Police out here where the Acedemy is in Goulburn, don't tend to take Year 12 leavers, or students in their younger years for a while, their minimum age is generally about 20. So in saying that is leaves a gap of about 2 to 3 years for me.

Sorry, I'm going on, but minimum age for probationary Constable is 19, and you can still be granted access into the Police Force, through a Uni or the Academy by mature age, in which I think the HSC and your UAI doesn't have as much of an importance.

If you show dedication and desire for the force and can suit their requirements such as the fitness tests and correct grammar and spelling, maybe medium to high standards of English, then you should be pretty good to be able to get in.

Don't worry too much about what your UAI will be. At the end of the day you have probably attained the best effort in which you have put in. Whatever comes out of school is only the basis and you are able to extent further education through TAFEs and such. So a tafe certificate in such an area as IPT or computers or something will look good on a resume when applying. But your score in the HSC for the Software Design might be good too.. Not sure what the course of that is like though.

As long as you are an overall desciplined and well being person, with no serious criminal record, then you should be pretty right. Don't focus on the down side of the exams, just focus on your positives and what you can do to achieve it.

:) :) best of luck.

I'm still really wanting to go into the Force myself, I've had some doubts over the few months, but It's still what I have my heart set on, so I'm going to go for it.

Sorry I went on. hehe :sleep:

FromDeeEast

HSC
i high doubt those fucken bogan cops who pull me over for defects were able to achieve a uai above mystery. Espically when they enforce laws that dont even exist.

if u be a cop dont a highway patrol or u will be hated.

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Hey, im thinking of doing the police course to but i want to get into the air wing or some computer section.
My marks are:
Ancient history =78/100 Rank=1/9
English standard =71/100 Rank=2/9
Software design and development =72/100 Rank=2/7
Information porcesses and technology =71/100 Rank=4/6
Industrial technology =90/100 Rank 1/3

But even with them i dont think ive done so well in my HSC exams so i dont think im going to get in, however if i may make a suggestion, you can research this for yourself but i believe that they accept you into Goulburn if you had some sort of training that makes you suitable for the police force, such as the military (can do gap year) or other coruses, not entirely sure of that just heard about it.

HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
Hey, im thinking of doing the police course to but i want to get into the air wing or some computer section.
My marks are:
Ancient history =78/100 Rank=1/9
English standard =71/100 Rank=2/9
Software design and development =72/100 Rank=2/7
Information porcesses and technology =71/100 Rank=4/6
Industrial technology =90/100 Rank 1/3

But even with them i dont think ive done so well in my HSC exams so i dont think im going to get in, however if i may make a suggestion, you can research this for yourself but i believe that they accept you into Goulburn if you had some sort of training that makes you suitable for the police force, such as the military (can do gap year) or other coruses, not entirely sure of that just heard about it.
Your marks don't seem all that bad to me. Better than mine because i always bomb out on exams, but assessment ranks have been fairly good.

Yeah, sometimes they do like you to have a bit of experience in security and the services like the Military, etc, but I don't think it's a prerequisite for application. Just an experiences thing which would make it easier for you to get in if you compared it to another person who hasn't done anything like that.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/recruitment/related_information/application_process

There's the application process, it doesn't say much about Military involvement, but I skimmed through it. I've seen it a few times. Lol
But I can see where such experience will come in handy for application....

Thunderbolt

HSC
Goulburn? I used to live there! A stone age now (seven years), but loved the place! Where abouts are you?
Your first paragraph pretty much sums up how I feel. Give me a computer and a blind fold and I'll strip it down in no time. LOL!

Yeah, I feel dumb because 66 sounds so easy to get. I'm thinking of maybe putting off the police for a few years and going through CIT with an advanced diploma (then degree) in electronics. My other vice.

Dad used to lecture at the Police College, so I sort of have a hidden advantage if I do get in. That and he worked General Duties in Sydney, Divisional SWOS and Detectives for a number of years. You can see why I want to join. :rofl:

I've applied for Early Entry into CSU Bathurst doing BJusticeStud (Policing) and tried to pull the 'approachable person' and 'leadership' cards (prefect and 4 year SRC rep) with interesting Trials results (the opening post) so I don't know. Fingers crossed. I'll also need to get myself fit because I ain't exactly that... :|

I really don't want to wait any longer than I have to, I'm just itching to get in; no matter what the cost. I'd like to avoid the Army; though I'll consider it as a last resort because I'd assume they'd put you through hell twice over.

I'm still really wanting to go into the Force myself, I've had some doubts over the few months, but It's still what I have my heart set on, so I'm going to go for it.
Go for it! And if all goes well, I'll see you at the College. :D

Last edited:

HSC
Shit, Goulburn. There ya go. I probably knew you, depends what primary you went to if it was seven years ago. :p

Yeah, you sound very very keen, so if you keep at it, then you'll be right. Try and get all the other requirements and you should be right. I didn't apply for the Unis. I would have put in for Western Sydney though. I did hear that Western Sydney will always guarantee a placing, whereas Charles Sturt may nit always. But I don't know how reliable my Careers teacher is as a source. -__-

Don't worry, I feel dumb too because I too think 66 for me is achievable. I just dont kno how people get very high marks. I always try my best and when it comes to the exams, and particularly writing essays, I always seem to get half. Like 10/20. Kinda cheeses me off cos I feel like saying "What do you want from me!!!"
:p

Don't let that itchin' get to you. You've gone for it, so I hope your early entry works in well. You are very determined, and from the way you type I think you are in the same boat as me. Can't seem to focus on exams, but are smart. :)

All the best. :)

courtney-lee549

HSC
Hey i was hoping someone could help me out with my UAI also, i was hoping for mid 70s? What do you think?

Standard English

1/98
70%
Av: 50%

PD/H/PE
2/27
70%
Av:43%

Ancient History
6/35
66%
Av: 50%

General Maths
15/45
70%
Av: 55%

Biology
10/20
60%
Av: 60%

Thanks x<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Thunderbolt

HSC
:.* Mardi *.: said:
Shit, Goulburn. There ya go. I probably knew you, depends what primary you went to if it was seven years ago. :p
Goulburn East Public? Up near the War memorial. Alan Milne was the principal. :)

:.* Mardi *.: said:
Kinda cheeses me off cos I feel like saying "What do you want from me!!!" :p
Oh yeah. Know that feeling. :D

HSC
Ah nah, Thunderbolt, I went to Wollondilly. :p
Haha, yep, and it always happens to me in Maths though. :)

Thunderbolt

HSC
Ah. I knew someone that went there. :)
Small world. Even knew that there was a fire (in the groundskeepers shed?) and apparently a big shit storm was kicked up over it...

Lotsa memories. :D

Damnit. Can't sleep and I have the Software Design Development exam at 1:55PM. :(

HSC
Hahah yes, that fire was back when I was in year 4. I think it was close to petrol cans too. It was in a shed underneath our Hall. lol Shit storm, pretty much got it right there. :p

Thunderbolt

HSC
So god damn close! 60.25. :(

What about the extra five you may ask? CSU gives a bonus to students in regional schools because it's seen as a "disadvantage".

Anyway, I'm going to go annoy CSU admissions in January to see if they'll make exception to .75 less of 66.

Now to get fit. :( :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)