"Pot not hot: weed losing its cool"- SMH (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...losing-its-cool/2007/02/19/1171733640842.html

To use what the majority thinks is correct or acceptable behaviour to argue what is or isn't 'cool' seems a bit off the mark... and besides, the survey results on some points seem to reflect the ignorance/indoctrination of the general populace. Apparently "40 per cent (of people) believe marijuana is always addictive". hmmm...

Thoughts? Personal experiences?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Any young person can tell you that even if they think they (pot or cigarettes) are unacceptable and even if the thought of breathing in smoke might disgust them, they still have the 'cool' tag. They're both rebellious, wrong and 'fun', so therefore 'cool.'

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
iambored said:
Any young person can tell you that even if they think they (pot or cigarettes) are unacceptable and even if the thought of breathing in smoke might disgust them, they still have the 'cool' tag. They're both rebellious, wrong and 'fun', so therefore 'cool.'
yeah, I guess I was questioning the SMH's editorial conclusions based on the stats. What I think the stats really reflect is a negative shift in public perception towards illegal drug-use in general.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Yeah this was just on the ten morning news. Three quarters of young people think its unacceptable apparently...
I'm sure a lot of people do think it's unnaceptable but I don't see how the numbers would be that high... certainly in my own peer group, the number of those who don't smoke, even if it's very occasionally, is low. And (for the most part) we're not notable stoners.
And as for the 'uncool' factor. Gaaah. Who does ANYTHING purely based on its cool factor? That's lame. If you're a big jerk, you may consider it, but it shouldn't be what prompts a person to make a decision (then again, high-waist jeans are inexplicably in again). The media assumes all young people are blind followers with no capacity for making their own decisions.

wagga

HSC
"SMOKING a joint is no longer cool among the young, according to a new poll, which found one in three regard it as unacceptable."

Hang on, if one in three regard it as unacceptable, doesnt this mean (i was never great at maths) that 2 in 3 regard it as acceptable, which would be a clear majority, would it not?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Of the 1500 adult Australians surveyed, three in four felt smoking dope was dangerous or very dangerous, and half thought it could trigger schizophrenia or anxiety disorders.

About 40 per cent believed marijuana was always addictive, and one in five believed it was always a gateway to harder drugs. Sixty-eight per cent thought cannabis use could lead to other crimes.
this sort of ignorance really shouldnt be flaunted... SMH isnt even saying that what these people think is wrong [safer than alcohol/CAN trigger, but rarely and only if you are predisposed to it/ not an addictive substance/ gateway theory is bunk/ could, much in the same way alcohol does] but showing off these stats asif it was the truth.

Because its illegal and gets you high, its coolness comes and goes in cycles, when it starts becoming really unacceptable[like now] theres a backslash as people start wanting to do the rebelious 'bad' thing,which flings it in the other direction were it becomes really acceptable and everyone does it so it looses the badass effect.

The only reason smoking a joint wouldnt be cool is because its a massive waste of smoke.

dilroy

HSC
From my perspective and the people around me. Nowadays people who take drugs or like the idea of taking drugs to make themselves look like "king shit" is no longer in fashion.
I live in western Sydney and I have friends from varied groups eg. The Leb that loves his twin-turbo fully sick RX7 WRX Subaru bullshit, the Asian fag with the hair and has a big dragon on his arm to increase his homosexual pride level, the Aussie bogan who waxes his hair till the point he looks like a complete fuckwitt etc. (these are just exaggerations of course ..t) a lot of people from these groups are also beginning to reject drugs.

My point boys n girls... most intelligent people or people who have some sort of ambition in life tend to reject the idea of drugs as they are now considered the type of substance for dropkicks. It's normally the people I know who fail in life, have depression, party poopers (not a lot of them btw), earning shit wages or don't know what they want in life who seem to take drugs nowadays. But hey it's my generation.

And yes I am a complete wanker.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie, and hippies suck.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
My point boys n girls... most intelligent people or people who have some sort of ambition in life tend to reject the idea of drugs as they are now considered the type of substance for dropkicks. It's normally the people I know who fail in life, have depression, party poopers (not a lot of them btw), earning shit wages or don't know what they want in life who seem to take drugs nowadays. But hey it's my generation.
it can also be the complete opposite, some very smart people at my school liked to experiment. Sometimes drug dabling can create genius, like T.S Elliot he was a pretty creative fellow. Altering your perceptions and learning to see the world in a new way is always going to be a good thing...its when people get addicted, blow all their money and are tripping all the time that its bad.

circusmind

HSC
dilroy said:
Heaps of my mates smoked weed with some frequency and yet have their ambitions etc. and all scored high 90s....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)