Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
hahaha Leanne Leanne Leanne... you'd be having problems if you WEREN'T confused.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
hah, if you know of a good essay that i can memorise then i will, otherwise no. :(

i honestly truly really don't know many of the 'concepts' of postmodernism, aside from the various reasons of inversion / subversion. i think i'm going to do it more generally? like, the paradox of the entire thing, historiographic metafiction (FLW & such), the value of irony and parody, the binary oppositions of fiction/fact // modern/postmodern, and the question of reactionary ideologies. looking also at social centrality and the postmoderns attempts to subvert historical and social power structures.

perhaps i'll even get around to my prescribed texts. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Main concepts

...challenges the existence of one singular objective truth....
...everything being a construct of the individual...
...denounces structure and establishment, rather a sporadic 'wild' view is encouraged...

thats all i can remember...

then we have post-post modernism....the vein in which DWM and especially Possession are written in...

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
i totally do not believe that DWM is p-p-modernism.

Leanne

HSC
yeah i'm not bothering to study DWM.....its just confusing to relate to pm...knowing my luck i'll probably find that it would have been useful for my argument......

well i'm talking about rejection of grand narratives and the concepts that come under it-
*rejection of certanties (blurring of boundaries)
*fictionality of fiction (self reflexivity, author intrusions)
*inability to be original

and of course the challenging of societal constructs....esp. gender

i hate not memorisng an essay...i find it so hard to find info in my head on the spot.....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
DWM....uses the concept of postmodernism and embodies it in the character of Swain....shakespeare and the underlying narrator is Williamson's voice

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
does that mean that Williamson is a liberal humanist?
i took it to be almost like Foucault vs Shakespeare-- Post-structuralism vs liberal humanism with Williamson as the voice of Angela-- realising the possiblity of a merging of both, despite the negative light that Swain (representative of all the mumbo jumbo garbage) is presented in.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I can't stand DWM, personally. I didn't use it because to me it contradicted itself. (I think that was Williamson's point, but it made it hard to write about it..)

I didn't see Swain as ever being redeemed, though, gloria*, which makes a merger less likely than a condemning of post-structuralism. But I'm not trying to argue, just offer a different view.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
oh look you probably know way more about it than me. i don't remember how it ended but for that bit where Swain gets all crazy-psychotic. i'll reference you in my essay; you can be a quote. :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hhehe

well basically what i thought happened was that williamson commented and sided with shakespeare, using the medium of postmodernism as his tool, similar to that of Byatt in Possession...

and swain embodies the very concepts of postmodernism, the post liberal yadda yadda ... and his subsequent contradiction of himself, reflecting the contradictory nature of pomo...

thats the basic premise :)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by gloria*
does that mean that Williamson is a liberal humanist?
i took it to be almost like Foucault vs Shakespeare-- Post-structuralism vs liberal humanism with Williamson as the voice of Angela-- realising the possiblity of a merging of both, despite the negative light that Swain (representative of all the mumbo jumbo garbage) is presented in.
I think Williamson is liberal-humanist inclined. In the intro, it says he does believe some of swain's ideas have value, but he still satirises him, making him villlian. so i guess one may assume that he's liberal humanist. yeah
although I can hardly believe angela somehow gets brainwashed by swain. she was originally portrayed as a level-headed intelligent person, although now she's mark-chasing.

Last edited:

wikety witch

i'm doing post modernism this yr n tho i can grasp the general concept of it, its so difficult to get specific with anything
i guess it's probably because i don't actually understand it enough =/ any suggestions as how to improve?

wikety witch

i just realised that everyone was talking bout dead white males when i kindda changed tha subject, well whatever it is all i kno is that tha book is sitting in front o me right now opened up to page 45 n my brains telling me ta do a one page summary on y it's significant but i can't seem ta tell my brain what to write =/

T

Tyler

okay i just read dwm and i get its a send up of postmodernism...but what else is goin on here in dwm? like i think i may need to read it again closer cos i dun think i got a full understanding of what its goin on about.
Hehe swains a dumfuk, like melissa usen him and screwen him ova royally lol.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by Tyler
anyone doin pomo got an assessment yet?
We have one after the holidays. Its a speech on issues that are brought up in DWM

my topic is globalisation and how it affects our way of thinking

so yeah. you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)