Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I agree with you, Deus Ex Machina, that postmodernism can be seen as the contemporary loss of faith in the grand unifying structure (this notion has also been linked to the development of capitalism). I believe that postmodernism is absurd; and postmodernism wouldn't disagree with me (it can't really do anything anyway, because according to postmodernism, nothing has meaning :p). You mentioned the significance of existentialism in postmodern thinking. Both Nietzche and Satre would have agreed that life is devoid of any essential meaning, but they also diverge from postmodern thought in an essential way (haha, like the pun?). Satre believed that "existence" is the ultimate truth; he espoused the notion that man is "condemned to be free". For whilst, according to Satre, there is no innate meaning in life, the fact of existence means that humankind must make its' own choices, and define its' own meaning. I believe that postmodernism is a phase. It is part of the process of breaking down old ideas. It has marked similarities to overindulged, overintellectialised existential angst, which is the questioning of what is real, before the return to illumination. I think its' important to remember that some things are immanent. I would agree with the existentialists that "beingness" is essential. I also believe Trismegistus when he states, "as above, so below" - that the microcosm of the self is a reflection of the universal macrocosm. I also believe that life is in a constant cycle of oneness , separation, and the return to the one. And I would counter postmodern doubt with a simple statement: whether or not we can be sure that we are perceiving what someone else is perceiving, the truth remains - we are all perceiving. And whether or not I can prove that anyone else exists - the truth remains - I am.

Plotinus said: "I believe that there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists...in truth, at very rare moments, we can experience that we ourselves are the divine mystery."

Last edited:

Alimoe_KG

HSC
goldendawn....thats some hardcore theory right there man. pwahahah ............im confused ^-^

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Airness said:
goldendawn....thats some hardcore theory right there man. pwahahah ............im confused ^-^
haha - maybe I just explained it poorly.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
Technically, Post-Modernism isnt a genre, its a way of thinking, such is the name of the module: Texts and Ways of Thinking.

Defining Post-Modernism in one paragraph is impossible.
I can do it in a sentence.

Pomo is the ability to bullshit about whatever you damn well please and call it art.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
deusexmachina said:
Or, as my entire class stated again and again when we did speeches on the damn thing: "Postmodernism's really hard to define."
You know what was the best part about HSC EE1 Exam of 2003

"Define Postmodernism"

I wanted to rip out the lungs of the fucking idiot that thought of that question.

tim05

HSC
nothing is definitivley postmodern... that is the problem witht he syllabus...

compostions can have elements which some people define as postmodern...

my major work by definition of others is postmodern... but to me it is not... to me it is just how I enjoy writing... sure its strange... but I do not believe you can group anything into a category definitivley, it can have elements of that "style/thing" but it is never completley of it!

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
basically, my definition of it is that if modernism says there is on truth, po-mo says there are many truths. that's only a part of my understanding, the rest is blank.

Liza-LaBoheme

Inside a cave, hiding under blankets while strokin
HSC
jhakka said:
I'm against postmodernism because of the sheer amount of students who abuse it to grab marks. But maybe because I feel that they have an unfair advantage over those who didn't do that module.
There is nothing to say you have to study post modernism to use the style/ethos/theory/bollocks in your writing. i started out studying Gendered Language of all things and i'm still using it (well loosely anyway). i do agree that it is over used somewhat, and is used wrongly to refer to basic experimentation. just because the gramma's wrong doesn't mean it's postmodern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)