Postmodernism supps. (1 Viewer)

T

Tyler

Anyone know any pomo books or movies?

i heard pulp fiction is a pomo style movie which would be good cos its funny, so is "GO", if anyone knows any or could suggest any it would be great.

Thanx

Lainee

HSC
Our school published a list of recommended postmodern films. I'm going to put some up that I really enjoyed and would recommend anyone to watch.

Run Lola Run - Tom Tykwer (1998)
Very fun to watch, excellent to study.

Mulholland Drive - David Lynch (2001)
One of my personal favourites :) A bit hard to understand at first, but there are a few theories floating around the net if you look them up.

Being John Malkovich - Spike Jonze (1999)
Confused me so much when I saw it, but it grew on me. :)

Other ones:
Chicago - Rob Marshall (2002)
Fight Club - David Fincher (1999)
Scream - Wes Craven (1996)
Memento - Christopher Nolan (2000)
Adaptation - Spike Jonze (2002)
Blade Runner - Ridley Scott (1991)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i used fight club, there is lots of stuff on the web about it.

i wouldnt use blade runner, cos it is already in the Advanced syllabus.

pulp fiction is great but i dont think it would be good for postmodernism... same with Go.... you need REALLY blatant po-mo techniques that you can link well with the po-mo theory you know

T

Tyler

hey would corage under fire be pomo? considering the different points of view to the story which happens from the dif soldiers are conflicting when denzel washington is doing a report wether this female soldier should be awarded a medal of honour.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah I guess you could use it, but I think there are other more suitable films you could use which would give you greater depth for postmodern concept etc and which would link all your texts together with more than just the obvious postmodern ideas.

I used Mulholland Drive. It actually worked really well because you can pose both postmodern and antipostmodern arguments within it and both are equally valid.

Mike85

I did American Beauty, which is an excellent related text to do, and Tapestry by Catherine Gasgoine (look in the 2001 showcase for ext2 - she came top of the state and it's an AMAZING story, worth reading just for the enjoyment factor). Moulin Rouge is also a possibility, and Tom Stoppard's Arcadia.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i disagree that american beauty is an excellent text... its workable but i think there'd be better out there, techniques-wise. ... i think something like Moulin Rouge would be A LOT better as far as content and techniques go

Mike85

Well, that's your opinion spin spin. Remember your opinion of my PIP? It's a good text to do when looking at perceptions of truth (a postmodern exploration, as you would know) which is used to categorise emotions (which is also explored in the multiple endings of Fowles and Gasgoine's texts [hence which it's so useful]). It also shows the disparity between the dream and reality, and shows how our lives are tinged with illusion, pretence and fear, and that truth is no longer viable. So content-wise it's great if your looking at those kind of ideas, and the techniques are more subtle, but still there, and it would be regarded as a more challenging text to do than Moulin Rouge. That said, it's up to the student choosing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)