postgrad med (1 Viewer)

HSC
i was wondering what the requirements are for doing postgrad med?
and how easy/difficult it is to get into...

and anything else that might be useful

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Well you most probably have to do medical science degree or i think other relevant health science degree at uni for 3yrs then after that do post grad medicine.

It must be difficulty of cause its medicine.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
You'd have to sit GAMSAT (right???), and that's about as hard as doing a handstand with your hands tied behind your back.

aussiechica7

HSC
1) It doesn't matter what degree u take but make sure u take some 1st yr science subjects to prepare for the GAMSAT and a few literature/arts subjects to prepare for another section of the GAMSAT.
2) Your GPA counts
3) GAMSAT
4) Interview,

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
parramattitude said:
i was wondering what the requirements are for doing postgrad med?
and how easy/difficult it is to get into...

and anything else that might be useful
i guess u have to say to ureself..

how smart is my doctor?... truth be told.. there are some real idiots that pass... so im confident that anyone could do it..

difficulty is based on the number of places... this is good.. as there are more now than in 2002.

xoa

HSC
From what I've seen of GAMSAT practice questions, it is really hard.. Especially the paragraph items, because the timing is so brief. I doubt I would have gotten much above 50% correct.

Judging by their English skills, I can say that most of our foreign trained doctors would flunk it too. There may be fewer "Dr Deaths", if getting a decent score in the GAMSAT was a prerequisite for medical board registration.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actaully they do sit an english compentency test...

Overseas trained doctors cop sooo much crap from the community but sadly its because we lack a good system that we cant retain or train more "local" doctors... the OTDs are really great.. they are the ones that prop up our system.. and ure healthcare...

xoa

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actaully they do sit an english compentency test...

Overseas trained doctors cop sooo much crap from the community but sadly its because we lack a good system that we cant retain or train more "local" doctors... the OTDs are really great.. they are the ones that prop up our system.. and ure healthcare...
Yeah, they take the same English "competency" test as international fee paying students - meaning, ther English skills are often rudimentary.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
that would actualli make then local graduates..

ure confusing the two.. types..
local graduates train in english when they are here.. and are subjected to the same marking scale as CSP stdents..they sit the GAMSAT or MCAT for those places

xoa

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
that would actualli make then local graduates..

ure confusing the two.. types..
local graduates train in english when they are here.. and are subjected to the same marking scale as CSP stdents..they sit the GAMSAT or MCAT for those places
I'm not confusing anything. I have no problem with international students who study medicine in Australia. Unless they somehow cheated in the GAMSAT, they are pretty much guaranteed to have excellent English skills (better than mine, at least). Like I said before, the GAMSAT is damn hard.

Foreign trained medicos are tested on English competency by sitting the IELTS. The standards of IELTS are much lower, and its shortcomings are well publicised. Walk into any accounting lecture, and you'll see dozens of international students who passed the IELTS burden, despite having abysmal English skills. It doesn't matter for accountants, but the bar should be set higher for people who want medical board registration. I think foreign doctors should pass a test which resembles the GAMSAT in difficulty.

If they don't have the English skills to conjugate a sentence or order a pizza, how are they supposed to communicate complex pathological or physiological processes?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i dunno where the irony lies tho..

the AMC recently put up the results of their OTD and the AMC accreditation in clinical skills and med sc

the best performing med schools were from subcontinent... while UK doctors did dismally.. the IELTS is only one component.. u still need to sit ure AMC practical and written exams and an intern yr....

this is true for all states except QLD about 5 yrs ago..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)