Postgrad at Top-Tier English Universities (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
How hard is it to get into postgrad (MA, PhD) in the humanities at universities like Oxford or Cambridge? Has anyone from here looked into it ever?

Both mention on their site that they expect at the least 2nd class, 1st division honours, but most successful applicants have 1st class honours; but when I think about it, so many students must graduate with 1st class honours though, so how else do they distinguish between applicants?

Peartie

HSC
Most of the unis will look @ not only your academic transcript but also extra curricular activities (clubs and societies @ uni as well as things down outside uni eg helping a charity)

Last edited:

Scorch

HSC
Not sure what you're getting at with the spelling, but sure.

I failed a 1st year subject, but I still have a distinction average, even if I get 1st class honours will it be unlikely I'll get in since I have a fail on my record?

izzy88

HSC
I failed a 1st year subject, but I still have a distinction average, even if I get 1st class honours will it be unlikely I'll get in since I have a fail on my record?
I don't think one fail in first semester would necessarily set you back- as long as you explain where you went wrong and how you improved on it- it doesn't look great- but if you have done well in the rest of your degree, and in your honours then i think that would be what would count. Also, it may also differ as to whether the unit that you failed was to do with want you want to study at oxford etc or whether it was just a random subject.

On your general question, my main concern with doing a MA or PhD (whichever university, but obviously going overseas will be much more expensive) is getting the funding/scholarship to enable you to afford to do it.

Scorch

HSC
I don't think one fail in first semester would necessarily set you back- as long as you explain where you went wrong and how you improved on it- it doesn't look great- but if you have done well in the rest of your degree, and in your honours then i think that would be what would count. Also, it may also differ as to whether the unit that you failed was to do with want you want to study at oxford etc or whether it was just a random subject.
It was just latin, which is not related to my honours/postgrad subject (Italian Studies/Literature); and I really only failed it because I was out of state for several weeks during the semester for cricket at one point and my lecturer was a stubborn douche that refused to let me resit the tests/assignments I would miss during that period which were worth almost 40% of the mark, and he told me this 2 days before I left.

At any rate, I get what you mean; obviously the standards are high, I just wasn't sure whether it was so high that a first year fail would automatically equal "don't even bother applying". But thank you for the advice. :)

On your general question, my main concern with doing a MA or PhD (whichever university, but obviously going overseas will be much more expensive) is getting the funding/scholarship to enable you to afford to do it.
Yeah, for sure; that's one of the biggest hurdles, really; I'll only be 18 when I finish my honours degree though, so I have options I guess.

Last edited:

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Only a distinction average? :haha: :lol:

m8, just go straight to UWS

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
How hard is it to get into postgrad (MA, PhD) in the humanities at universities like Oxford or Cambridge? Has anyone from here looked into it ever?

Both mention on their site that they expect at the least 2nd class, 1st division honours, but most successful applicants have 1st class honours; but when I think about it, so many students must graduate with 1st class honours though, so how else do they distinguish between applicants?
The "2nd class, 1st division honours" is based on the british system. In Cambridge, only 2-5% of the students get 1st class honours, unlike in Australia.

For overseas students, they look at your referee's reports and from memory they ask your referees to comments on the type of student you are etc. (Top 1%, Top 5%, Top 10% etc).

The admission committee will know over the years what type of students they admit that comes from Australia and what kinds of marks are acceptable for Cambridge/Oxford.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
At any rate, I get what you mean; obviously the standards are high, I just wasn't sure whether it was so high that a first year fail would automatically equal "don't even bother applying". But thank you for the advice. :)
I think you should still go for it and see what happpens - if it doesn't happen the first time, try again! I wish you the best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)