post-postmodernism (1 Viewer)

narrator

HSC
N/A
just when you think you understand postmodernism, another concept gets thrown your way. What does everyone think about the concept of post-postmodernism, the rejection of postmodern ideology by postmodern works, like Orlando which shows the limitations of challenging convention with the character ultimatly succumbing to society.

i dunno, maybe it's just some some sick postmodern joke

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i think you'll find the board of studies is about 15 years too late in jumping onto the postmodernism bandwagon. many academics who look at postmodernism do believe we are in a phase in which it has passed and we are onto whatever 'post-postmodernism' may be. i think it's all sort of bullshit anyway, but, yeah.

narrator

HSC
N/A
that's true, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of postmodernism? it's supposed to be new and challenge convention, yet if it has become social convention, does that mean it has to challenge itself (thus post-postmodernism) or is the whole concept contradictory?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by narrator
that's true, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of postmodernism? it's supposed to be new and challenge convention, yet if it has become social convention, does that mean it has to challenge itself (thus post-postmodernism) or is the whole concept contradictory?

you sort of simultaneously answered your own question and raised even more :) i have no idea either way, but it's interesting to think about.

narrator

HSC
N/A
there is a fine line between interesting and diabolically consuming, damn the system, postmodernism is too simplistically contradictory to be a complex concept bound by rules

lizzy

"just when you think you understand postmodernism, another concept gets thrown your way. What does everyone think about the concept of post-postmodernism, the rejection of postmodern ideology by postmodern works, like Orlando which shows the limitations of challenging convention with the character ultimatly succumbing to society.

i dunno, maybe it's just some some sick postmodern joke"

i was kinda thinking along the same lines. while seeing the postmodern aspects in 'Possession' i also saw that it was a break away from postmodernism and a reassertion of old values. would you agree?

Furthermore, isn't the very nature of postmodernism to challenge old conventions? i think texts these days are challenging the concept of postmodernism - thus, if the nature of p/m is challenging the old, you have to question if any text is really p/m

does any of that make sense?

narrator

HSC
N/A
Re: Re: post-postmodernism

Originally posted by lizzy
[Bi was kinda thinking along the same lines. while seeing the postmodern aspects in 'Possession' i also saw that it was a break away from postmodernism and a reassertion of old values. would you agree?

Furthermore, isn't the very nature of postmodernism to challenge old conventions? i think texts these days are challenging the concept of postmodernism - thus, if the nature of p/m is challenging the old, you have to question if any text is really p/m

does any of that make sense? [/B]
yeah, i see what you're saying, texts challenging post modernism suggest postmodernism is structured and outdated, how can that be so?

i actually hated possession with a passion, found it really boring and long winded, thinking i was basically reading a romance, as the title suggests. yes, there were postmodern elements, but overall the novel was very inoffensive, very 'safe'.

i found myself reading pages of setting establishment, then moving into a breif scene which was highly structured, overall reading a romance.

ssj_goku

"like Orlando which shows the limitations of challenging convention with the character ultimatly succumbing to society."

But couldn't Orlando's progression be seen as him/her ascending above the limitations of society? To me it seemed that Orlando had ultimately come to embrace the androgenous human spirit. (Hence the genderplay and choice of song in the final scene) But on a mroe general level, the story is a satire of society's conventions (in that Orlando literally ceases to be a man when he can no longer live up to that gender construct).

But the post-postmodernism isn't that freakish when you don't look at postmodernism as a period. Generally, most texts even before postmodernism exhibited a level of understanding of the idea behind it, as do current texts. So in essence, the main philosophy behind postmodernism lives on even in its replacement, its just that the dogmatic application of postmodernistic principles have been ousted as part of the natural evolution of text periods, and isn't really that different from the "replacement" of Classicism by Romanticism
have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

narrator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ssj_goku
"like Orlando which shows the limitations of challenging convention with the character ultimatly succumbing to society."

But couldn't Orlando's progression be seen as him/her ascending above the limitations of society?
orlando doesn't ascend from society but simply lives parallel to it, she doesn't embrace an androgenous spirit, but rather attempts to escape the confines of one sex by becoming the other

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
orlando doesn't ascend from society but simply lives parallel to it, she doesn't embrace an androgenous spirit, but rather attempts to escape the confines of one sex by becoming the other
Thats just the first stage of the ascenscion. She then slowly realises that this stereotype is equally constricting. As a result she rejects this as well. That was the whole point of all the gender play in the very final scene as well as the choice of song.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
fuck i thought the whole point of the genderism was to show that Tilda looks bad as both a male <I>and</I> a female.

narrator

HSC
N/A
i thought of that as more of an underlying theme, omnipresent throughout the entire movie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)