Post-Modernism (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Bad "postmodernism" is agreeably just quite bad. Good postmodernism can be interesting.

People who slag something off as 'bad' without any sort of decent justification is ______. You guess what it is.

* I'm not much of a postmodern fan myself because I find it difficult to read and not as engaging as my favourite genre (I LOVE fantasy and pulp fiction), however I acknowledge that many other people find it interesting and I am aware of it's importance in the grand scheme of "art" progression.

If you don't like it, fine. But try to give a reason and be sensitive to the fact that other people might actually like it very much.

dandel26

HSC
Post Modernsim is hard to understand and then even when you do understand it, its extremely hard to explain. In that respects its a freakin bitch.

I dont mind post modern texts though, some of the ones i've done in extension are really good

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
some 06ers have no clue :eek:

post-modernism is a cultural movement that is not simply limited to english and literature. maybe if you had a more all-encompassing idea on post-modern society you would realise that it has relevance (although it can be a scary concept a la dystopian)

<3s modernism but pomo is quite good too

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Oh, crud, misunderstandings...

I'll correct myself: i don't like post-modernism in schools (at least, in my school). dandel26 hit the nail on the head - it's hard to understand and even harder to explain. How are teachers supposed to teach us, then?

Why, through constant BS-ing, of course! Maybe glitterfairy has half a point here too: perhaps were doing loads of "bad" postmodernism at school (or at least, at my school).

perhaps another correction: I don't hate post-modern texts, just the potential havoc, torture, crappy life they can cause. Other than that, loads of people still cling to the idea that post-modernism is the new god. Who am i to disagree?

oh, and my humblest apologies to those i've offended who love post-modern texts. Truly.

-P_D

nwatts

HSC
Honestly, what in "school"s model of post modernism is difficult to understand?

Either people are getting stupider or I went to the right school.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
What was that old saying: "If you found it easy, you must've done it wrong"

Either that, or you really did go to the right school...

-P_D

HSC
N/A
I think a lot of teachers don't teach it properly, or don't even have a strong enough grasp of it themselves. There's a lot of emphasis in the HSC these days (english especially) for students to shoot out a whole bunch of techniques/names/concepts ASAP without actually taking the time to go through all of these in enough depth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)