Post-modernism... Help! (1 Viewer)

madiness

HSC
hey,

can anyone tell me what post-modernism actually is?!??!?! my teacher keeps going on about it but no-one in my class knows what it is. none of us wants to ask him but we really need to know so id appreciate a definition and examples... all i know is that focault is a post-modernist....
ahhhhh :p
thanks, :)

nazi jew

Banned
HSC
go to wikipaedia.org that'll outline post-modernism. problem is it doesnt show how post-modernism crept into the history faculty.

The general jist of post-modernism in history is a school that rose in unversities in the (hence dubbed) postmodernist era. they run the whole 'no truth' line, that every historian has bias and that bias taints history. they claim you shouldnt study history adn its all just a waste of time.
ironically this course is basically promoting postmodernism... esucating why we shouldnt study this subject.
Personally this is completely stupid, because their is proper methodology to get to truth, there are just bad historians.

Ask your teacher... they SHOULD help you with this.

X

xeuyrawp

Postmodern history is a reaction to the idea that history is a linear, factual object, distant and detracted from people.

In the general sense, postmodernism is a new catch-phrase relating to any kind of text (in this case, history) that draws your attention to it being a construct. This means that a postmodern historian will try to study the more text-response relation rather than historiocracy (the "Renet" Historian - "just the facts, ma'am"). Essentially, "what happened" is not really important, because things happen all the time. Why should history be important? A postmodern historian says history is important because it impacts us as people, and groups, in the present.

Hence, with different people, and groups, in the present arguing over history, how can there be "history"? I mean, if we don't know what happened, how is this a story or narrative of our past? There is no conventional history as we know it, because any and every history one creates will be altered by every experience one has experienced up till the very moment one types, writes, or speaks the new proposed narrative.

It is, therefore, important to acknowledge that history is not a linear, precise art, but rather a detective story with blurry witnesses and fragmented ideas and evidence. Making a movie like Titanic would be impossible because Rose and Leo had different perspectives, because there were 1000 other people experiencing the same event, and because *shock* Rose is actually an actor!

This is all good and well in the narrative known as film, but there's really no difference when a historian writes a book on history. When Breasted wrote his Records of Egypt, he was being influenced by his education style, the fact that some of his work was rushed, and the fact that half the important texts were burried under sand.

A postmodernist admits that we must try to understand "what happened", but pretending that our narrative is "what happened" is futile an a flat out lie. Hence, you find a pomo historian's love of primary evidence, alternate narratives, and constant reminders that he or she does not really know what happened, but is eager to present his view.

X

xeuyrawp

Memo to self and others: never bother helping a newbie unless you're sure they'll come back and actually read it.

madiness

HSC
i did read it.. and i sent you an email to thank you... but obviously you didnt receive it, so thank you again.

sugar_plum

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Memo to self and others: never bother helping a newbie unless you're sure they'll come back and actually read it.
there, there. no need to get worked up. ur just unhappy cause ur gin=ving help and there is no longer any rep for ur troubles.

i would add my two cents however the question hass been answered sufficently

bonniejjj

HSC
Hi Everyone. I know the question has been answered, but I thought I'd add (as an attachment) an excellent academic article by Sungho Kang, Sunchon National University, South Korea (It is in flawless english however) titled "The limits of 'post modern' history and marxist history." Includes a brief history of postmodernism in history, a definition and the percieved limits of postmodern history. Also examines the relation to and role of marxism. It's worth a read. Although I am studying extension history and postmodernism, I discovered this article whilst doing some research for Extension 1 English module postmodernism.

Anyway, check out the attachment or alternatively the weblink if you're interested, its worth a look :)
http://www.gradnet.de/papers/pomo2.archives/pomo01.paper/SunghoKang01.htm

X

xeuyrawp

sugar_plum said:
there, there. no need to get worked up. ur just unhappy cause ur gin=ving help and there is no longer any rep for ur troubles.
Yeh, I helped people just to get green 4x4 pixel boxes :rolleyes:

i would add my two cents however the question hass been answered sufficently
I wouldn't give two yen for your two cents! :p *runs*

madiness

HSC
ok then how in the world do you expect me to repay you? seeing as this is obviously a very big issue for you...

X

xeuyrawp

madiness said:
ok then how in the world do you expect me to repay you? seeing as this is obviously a very big issue for you...
You seem to be lost. My last post wasn't directed at you, although I should have quoted you saying "thanks" and replied with "no problem" or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)