Possibly been previously discussed. (1 Viewer)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I'm not sure, though I thought someone's probably asked this before. I was just wondering about individual study habits?
Particularly, how do people organise/prioritise their time.
What length of time do they allocate to a study block, and how do they do it in regards to subjects.

At the moment, I'm trying general half hour blocks for each subject I've had that day to review the work and consider the relavent dotpoint, then having a break, and another half an hour to summarise the work I've done earlier in the evening.
Basically an hour per subject, but split up?
So for instance, monday looks like this;

Senior science, dot point and review, 4-430.
English, review and homework, 4.30-5
Studies of religion, dot point and review, 5-5.30
Bio dot point and review, 5.30-6
PDHPE dot point and review, 6-6.30

break, dinner, etc.

senior science, study and summarise, 7-7.30
english study/essay, 7.30-8
studies of religion study and summarise, 8-8.30
bio study and summarise 8.30-9
PDHPE study and summarise, 9-9.30

Shower, bed. Lol.

I'm not particularly asking for people's opinions of my timetable, it seems to be working alright, but I was just curious about comparisons.
So anyone who has any techniques they find effective, or a radically different study pattern, I'm really interested to know =)

I hope that made some sort of sense, lol.
Ta.

HSC
Probably a topic per week on this.

My study timetable is kind of like yours, if you take out all the study/review/summarise parts.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Yeah, lol, I kind of need them written in there so I know what I want myself to be doing.
I'm quite good at avoiding study and forgetting what I was originally meant to be focussing on.
So I need it as specific as possible =)

Poad

HSC
I generally don't do much work every night for any subjects, in particular English and Italian which I pretty much do nothing (save for a few hand in homework tasks).

I know that its really not good, but whatever. I find cramming a week or so before exams to be effective for me, I would think that it doesn't work for everyone though. And I think I'm gonna have to change this habit soon, especially considering my sucky HSC timetable.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Yeah, that's what I used to do, but it would be more like 1-3 days before exams.
I did alright, but I kind of want to make it easier for myself and avoid pre-exam breakdowns lol. I used to have those, as I never left myself enough time.
So my logic is that if I'm familiar with my work and have notes done, I will only have to revise and such, instead of actually learning anything from scratch?

=D
Aw, how come your timetable is so bad?

nottellingu

HSC
ur doing to much work...ull burn out in like a week lol. srsly u come home and 4 and study all night with a 30 min break whoooooaaaaaa

nottellingu

HSC
Personally i dont like ur 30 min block shit. I like to get on a roll and get some rythm going with a particular subject, 30 min blocks will screw me over :p

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Thats what I used to do, and I thought it worked best for me too.
But I dunno this 30 minute block thing seems to be good, coz I set specific things I wanna accomplish, so I don't just fuck around for an hour or two, which is what I sometimes felt like I used to do.
But its not a rigid study plan, if I'm really getting somewhere with a particular subject, and want to do more than 30 mins, I won't beat myself up for it.
It's more a guide than a definitive rule.
=)

And I don't think I'm doing too much, there are people on here that seem to be doing heaps more.
Also, I don't do that much every night, that was just the one for tonight.
I have earlier nights and such through the week, with time for leisure reading and such.
Its just that up till now I've done barely any study, and I want to be on top of things?
I'm trying to get into good habits, instead of leaving it till 4 weeks before the HSC exams lol.
=D

Poad

HSC
Hollieee said:
Aw, how come your timetable is so bad?
Mine looks something like:

Friday & Monday - English
Tuesday - Italian
..(then off for the rest of the week)..
Monday - 4U Maths
Tuesday - Eco
Wednesday - 3U Maths
Friday - Religion

So, uh, yeah. They're all like crammed together. :\

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
Heh, I have Modern and Eco on the same day. D:
As for studying, i don't have any plan for each day. I study whatever I feel like, each day.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hollieee said:
I'm not sure, though I thought someone's probably asked this before. I was just wondering about individual study habits?
What length of time do they allocate to a study block, and how do they do it in regards to subjects.

At the moment, I'm trying general half hour blocks for each subject I've had that day to review the work and consider the relavent dotpoint, then having a break, and another half an hour to summarise the work I've done earlier in the evening.

break, dinner, etc.

Shower, bed. Lol.

I'm not particularly asking for people's opinions of my timetable, it seems to be working alright, but I was just curious about comparisons.
So anyone who has any techniques they find effective, or a radically different study pattern, I'm really interested to know =)

Ta.
Studying is great but your study method is quite dilute in my opinion. What I mean by 'dilute' is that you are dividing your study time over a large number of subjects. So you only study for 20-30 minutes for it.

In my point of view, 20-30 minutes is never sufficient to complete even my Mathematics Extension 1 homework.

So, I only focus on few subjects on a particular day like the followings:

2:30 - 4:30 (Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1)
4:30 - 6:00 (Vocabularly & comprehension of the texts)

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Hollieee said:

break, dinner, etc.

Shower, bed. Lol.

Ta.
...So much.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Studying is great but your study method is quite dilute in my opinion. What I mean by 'dilute' is that you are dividing your study time over a large number of subjects. So you only study for 20-30 minutes for it.

In my point of view, 20-30 minutes is never sufficient to complete even my Mathematics Extension 1 homework.

So, I only focus on few subjects on a particular day like the followings:

2:30 - 4:30 (Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1)
4:30 - 6:00 (Vocabularly & comprehension of the texts)
That's what I used to do, but it just didn't seem to work for me.
I found it far to easy to get distracted and at the end of my study time, I would have barely accomplished anything.
So I'm thinking like, small goals might be the way to go?
Besides, like I said, it's more of a guide, so if I'm making really good headway with something, I won't beat myself up for going for an hour or more, even though I allocated less.
It makes me feel like it's more achievable, lol.
=)

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
Srsly, don't bother making a plan if you're not going to stick to it.
I tried coming up with a study plan for myself, it just didn't work. When i get home, I study whatever subject I feel in the mood to study for, usually between 30min to 2 hours. I hate sticking to a timetable.

HSC
Like others, I don't have a rigid study plan. I tend to have numerous weeks were I have many assessments, and weeks where I have none. As this is one of the weeks with no assessments, I have worked as followed:

Mon:
5.30-6.00: Maths HW (now this was only completing the absolute minimum set, and isn't realistically beneficial at all.
6.30-7.00: PE Assignment (this isnt due for another couple of weeks, so I'm working on it gradually while I have the time)
7.30-9.00: English Notes, both from class, study guides and other sources.
9.00-9.30: Back to PE Assignment

Tues
5.30-6.15: Ancient History Syllabus Notes
6.15-7.00: PE Notes (will contribute towards the assignment as well)
7.00-8.30: English Notes. (English tends to get neglected alot, similar to PE, so days where I can I try to work on English related tasks)
8.30-9.00: Find past questions for both English and Ancient History.

I also tend to wake an hour or so before I need to, generally to study for either Maths or Bio, as I find that I am most able to then.

So I suppose I'm not that radical, in fact this won't last into weeks when I have huge amounts of assessment. Last week I had Ancient History on Monday, Maths on Tues, PE on wed, Bio Fri. So Mon night was taken up by Maths alone, Tues was PE, Wed and Thurs was Bio. So realistically, I'm not that effective at all when it comes to studying.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
745-315 school.

4-7 bluldge
7-8 half ass work
8-10 bludge.

that is all.

Last edited:

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
tommykins said:
745-315 school.

4-7 bluldge
7-8 half ass work
8-10 bludge.

that is all.
Yeah my timetable, if you can call it that, looks much the same. =]

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Srsly, don't bother making a plan if you're not going to stick to it.
I tried coming up with a study plan for myself, it just didn't work. When i get home, I study whatever subject I feel in the mood to study for, usually between 30min to 2 hours. I hate sticking to a timetable.
That's what I used to do, and it wasn't really working particularly well for me, so I figured I'd try some different approaches, and see what works best.
Actually, that's pretty much what I did from the start of year 7, all the way up till about 4 months ago =)

So I figure it's time to try and work out what my best study patterns are and all that..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)