possible to improve rank drastically? (1 Viewer)

qwertybackup

HSC
I didn't do so well for my assessments. I have 55-60% weighting internally left. is it possible to drastically improve my rank given my weighting, given im ranked in the last quarter of the grade? (very bad ik) but its not bc im dumb (ive averaged 90% in other school's trials AND MY SCHOOL SETS HARDER INTERNAL EXAMS COMPARED TO OTHER SCHOOLS) and my rank is low bc my grade is too smart . the LAST rank usually gets 60% and the MEDIAN is 85% - it doesnt help that the assessments are significantly harder compared to other schools that lowered my score, but somehow my grade still managed to get exceptionally high scores. im not gonna say what school i go to bc ppl are gonna try to figure out who i am and i dont want that. would i need to come first in the rest of my assessments to drastically improve my rank?
do u think its still possible to get a HIGH band 6? like 97-98 for each subject

i do 4u math, adv eng, chem, phys

i go to a top 5 school for some context & everyones ranks are very close together - someone got ONE extra mark and climbed 20 ranks lol

thanks guys

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The weighting that remains is significant and essentially gives you a good opportunity to improve your rank. Whether you will be able to improve your rank drastically will depend on your commitment and preparations for each of your subjects, which is definitely an element that you can control, that is, if you do your utmost in preparing for the assessment tasks/exams, you will hopefully maximise your rank. On the other hand, the element that you cannot control is the level of performance of your peers which, considering the fact that you attend a highly-ranked school, would indicate that your cohort is competitive, which may increase the difficulty of improving your rank. This is why it is important that you do your best in terms of studying and preparing going forward. With that being said, the fact that a student was able to improve their rank by 20 places by only scoring one extra mark sounds promising.

You do not strictly need to come first in your remaining tasks to drastically improve your rank. As part of a competitive cohort, your goal would be to place as high as possible, which would consequently lead you to a favourable internal position. I would recommend setting realistic goals at this stage, because even the slightest improvement would support your overall performance. However, if you find that coming first is within reach, there is nothing stopping you from trying.

Given that there is still 55-60% of your performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams to be determined, not to mention the substantial contribution of the HSC exams (being 50% of your overall HSC marks), it is definitely still possible to perform at a high band 6/E4 level. Of course, this does not mean that achieving HSC marks as high as 98 will not be difficult, but you definitely have the opportunity to perform at a standard this high if thoroughly prepare.

I hope this helps! 😄

carrotsss

HSC
Adding to what Jimmy said:
  • The difficulty of your internal exams is good for you, as it means that your remaining exams (particularly the trials) offer a great opportunity to make up ground
  • Getting a decent band 6 is absolutely possible - at a high ranking school like yours, you don’t need to be ranked that highly to achieve a decent band 6.
  • However, your aim of a high band 6 complicates things. To be completely honest, you will probably need to rank first or near first in the remaining assessments to get close to that.
  • Additionally, you need to hope that the remaining assessments are really hard, as you need a big mark difference to differentiate yourself and get back into the top. However, the good news is that the trials will undoubtedly be harder than everything else, so that is your biggest opportunity to improve your rank
Good luck! 😁

HSC
Also trials is probably the time to boost ranks. If your internal mark isnt that good but your exam mark is high band 6 range, your hsc mark will definitely get boosted higher so its really all up to your actual hsc exam.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
is it possible for someone to go from last quarter of the grade to top10 with the 55-60% weighting? ik it depends on cohort performance but do u guys think it is theoretically possible? i will make sure to work my butt off this holidays then
no. not in a top 5 school where the top 10 would be expected perform well for the rest of their assessment tasks. Idk what school u go to but usually in the top 5, its not feasible to overtake people even like top 30 if u mess up at the start unless all of them mess up their assessments later.

pogchampion

HSC
no. not in a top 5 school where the top 10 would be expected perform well for the rest of their assessment tasks. Idk what school u go to but usually in the top 5, its not feasible to overtake people even like top 30 if u mess up at the start unless all of them mess up their assessments later.
I agree. I would say that in top 10 schools the top 10 would have near-flawless performance throughout the year.

Anyway, for the person who make the forum post, at a top 5 school I think that getting top 20 should be your goal but under one condition: that you are top 20 in each subject. The reason for this is as I said earlier - as the ranks are better near the top, the difference in marks is smaller and smaller. With NESA, the teachers actually don't input the ranks but rather an overall internal mark (out of 100). This is why being second in a school where the first person is scoring eg. 10 higher than you, doesn't necessarily mean you will have a good internal mark.

Being top 20 in every subject should secure you a good internal rank, as a lot of good people with minimal mark differences will be clumped up around that range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)