Possible related texts for Navigating the Global? (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
^

Although we don't need related texts now, I'm just a bit eager to get started haha (loveeee EX1)

mal12345

HSC
The silent doco Samsara is really great, and The Truman Show. This module is pretty tough, so have orts that you love otherwise it's quite easy to get bored. And drop. Have fun!

limerica

HSC
Extremely loud and incredibly close, Crash, The God of Small Things, Bruce Dawe's Americanized & The Not So Good Earth, Tim Winton's Neighbours, Things Fall Apart are what I at least read/watched- used mainly tgost, dawe and winton though.

holstar

HSC
N/A
Navigating the Global is fantastic! I highly recommend, 'A Visit From the Goon Squad' by Jennifer Egan. It's great because there are so many story lines and characters that you can manipulate for any question. My other text is 'Babel' directed by Alejandro Gonzalez which is good for similar reasons as it has three subplots which you can adapt.

bitchy

HSC
The God of Small Things, The Economics of Happiness, An Inconvenient Truth. My teacher suggested the film Babel, but I haven't seen it. As for theorists I liked Michael Parenti, Arundhati Roy and Ian Goldin (see his TED talk "Navigating Our Global Future").

grape

HSC
we're reading "the shipping news", "the mosquito coast" , and seamus heaney poems and watching "lost in translation"

ahahah i love it tooo <3

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
we're reading "the shipping news", "the mosquito coast" , and seamus heaney poems and watching "lost in translation"

ahahah i love it tooo <3
Wow I think we are doing exactly the same texts! Which one did you start with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
The art of travel by Alain de Botton, film or novel: 'the Accidental Tourist', Michele de Krester " questions of travel", Global Village on SBS, Gail Jones' novel "Dreams of Speaking" ( would fit in very well), film: Japanese Story, maybe Don de Lilo's white noise - I need to think about it, African novels like Buchi Emecheta's 'The joys of motherhood' with a son who ends up studying in the US and she is still in the village, The Mistress of spices by an Indian woman, Anita Desai's 'God of small things'

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I highly recommend the film "Up in the Air". It's meaty and can be used for belonging too but 2014 has a new area of study. I studied Heaney, Lost in Translation and The Shipping News also! Most people find LIT and The Shipping News easier to talk about and analyse than Heaney because his poetry involves a greater amount of context in order to framework your analysis but I ended up choosing LIT and Heaney as my two chosen texts as I love Heaney's work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)