Possible Idea For Supplementary Material For Telling The Truth (1 Viewer)

Cumquott

Hey Guys

I was just watching the TV and I saw an advertisement for a Program that will be shown on Wednesday night called "The Big Picture: unfit to command" 8:30pm, Wednesday September 24. '03, which I think may be useful (possibly?) as supplementary material for telling the truth. I know some of you are looking for supp. Someone said on another thread that historical pieces are good, which show the difference between what actually happened and what was reported/recorded as having happened...and this might be one such piece. The blurb in the TV guide says:

"An investigation into the scandal that followed the loss of 82 lives when the aircraft carrier "melbourne" collided with, and sank, the destroyer "Voyager" off Jervis Bay in 1964"

Check it out..see what you think :)

Cumquott

Hey Leanne

Thanks for replying to my post. My English teacher is big on having HEAPS of related material because, even though you will only be asked to talk about 2 (or at the most, 3) supp. texts, it's a good idea to have lots more incase the question that they ask doesn't really fit in with your related material (or so I've been told) SO...I guess what that means is that it's not a bad idea to have as much related material in your head as you walk into the exam as you can (you stand a better chance of having something that fits really well with what you end up talking about)...As you have implied, variety of supp. texts is good too...in the exam you should probably try not to use two visuals (go for variety)...but I'd say keep this TV program in your head too incase it ends up being better than the other visual too. Also, keep in mind that you want to talk about techniques..so if u can have supp. texts that use the same techniques that are used in frontline then that will strengthen your argument even more.

Hope this helps :)

- Cumquott

"In life, success and failure are equally illusive, and both mean diddley-squat!"

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
but also dont have too many supp materials, because your head could be so busy trying to remember them all that you could forget everything else and totally screw the entire paper.

Cumquott

thanks for the tip, Jess :)

I reckon though, if you've studies thoroughly and sufficiently then you'll have the supps in you're head and you'll remember them as needed. I reckon it's better to have too many in your head and run the risk that you may forget some of them...then not have enough and either not mention it properly or (worse) have to try and make them up on the spot...which I reckon is a sure-fire way to screw up the paper.

All the best with your English studying...hang in there

- Cumquott

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to it's old dimensions" - Oliver Holmes

Andronicus

OK, if you're doing Ted Hughes, like I am, then for the relted text crap, I'm using:

- Sylvia Plath - it's a set text, but not for me it isn't, so technically I can use it (maybe the poem "Daddy" or something - I don't like her much anyway)
- Keats - must use Keats, it's perfect - "Ode to a Grecian Urn" or "Ode to a Nightingale", but definitely "La Belle Dame"
- Tenesse Williams' "Streetcar Named Desire" - Blanche and her hiding of truth...

WHEN WILL THIS DAMNED HSC END?!?!?!?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, theres this show on abc, every thursday on 9:00pm...called CNNNN....its very good supplementary text, coz it basically mocks the news readers and all that.

Cumquott

Hey Andronicus!

Thanks for replying to my post. Thanks for telling me what you're using for supp. texts...I'm on a pretty (desperate!) serach to find supp. texts coz I avoided doing it all year, BUT..time is running out, fast!

Just be careful about using sylvia Plath....my teacher told me that if you use set texts (even if you're not studying them) you could run the risk that the marker would just think that you haven't been bothered to find other texts...and whilst you wouldn't get "marked down" for it...it might mean the difference between getting a band 5/6 mark or whatever. BUT...you would be talking about Ted Hughes...so I guess they'd realise that that was the text you were focusing on..

YES!!! this damn HSC will end. Hang in there...it's just a month and a half of your life to go...and then you will be free forever from the HSC

Last edited:

Cumquott

heya freakin_out

Thanks for letting me know about CNNNN. I have heard about it but never watched it, so maybe I'll give it a go

Take care

- Cumquott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)