Possible HSC CW essay questions.. (1 Viewer)

jimjim

Hey you Cold War historians..
i've been looking through the past hsc papers and i've been thinking what they wont ask for our question this year.. like, they wont ask about detente directly as that was the focus last year. what do you guys think'll make a feature in this years hsc cw section?!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i did the CW last year - but my teacher pushed the cold war crisis as that is a favorite of the markers - so knowing at least one crisis in depth is a good start

jimjim

awesome!.. thanks savage! thats awesome because i did my cuba notes today and did a practice essay for it! w00t!

Don Mackey

They push specific crises because they are Key features on the syllabus. But there is more than Cuba for example Afganistan 1980, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Chile, Iran, Egypt, Indonesia. It is a case of third world conflicts with superpower intervention behind each as well as ideological dogma behind each conflict also strategic importance of certain areas Domino theory, missiles in europe and latin america, oil supply etc.

SarahJZ

HSC
It only asks the student to know one crisis in depth...but I would think it wise to know 2, just in case one doesn't fit the time frame of the question.

I was hoping that they might do a containment question this year, that would work well, because then you can bring in detente as a variation on containment...

Cityboy

HSC
They could ask about the origins of the cold war, the Truman doctrine, Marshall plan, Berlin Airlift etc

HSC
SarahJZ said:
It only asks the student to know one crisis in depth...but I would think it wise to know 2, just in case one doesn't fit the time frame of the question.

I was hoping that they might do a containment question this year, that would work well, because then you can bring in detente as a variation on containment...
yeah, to know 2 crises is a good idea. my school made us study Korea 1950-53 as an assessment. you should know 2 crises in depth, for example background of the conflict, aims of either side (north K. and the SU and South K and the US) and the outcome of the crisis and the effect on relations between the superpowers. just know the rest o them generally so you can refer to them throughout your essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)