population decline and all that (1 Viewer)

gerhard

HSC
ive never understood why people care so much about our population going backwards.

robo-andie

HSC
It could lead to the entire elimination of the human race.
People stop reproducing, we die out.

That though, is a very general look at the argument against population decline.
I'm also interested why it is such a big deal.

We can't have too many people in the world - complain about that, then turned around and complain our populations are going backwards...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gerhard said:
ive never understood why people care so much about our population going backwards.
Because the current workers get raped by taxes to fund old folgies who didn't properly plan for their retirement.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
robo-andie said:
It could lead to the entire elimination of the human race.
People stop reproducing, we die out.

That though, is a very general look at the argument against population decline.
I'm also interested why it is such a big deal.

We can't have too many people in the world - complain about that, then turned around and complain our populations are going backwards...
Population decline per se isn't the issue imo. What is an issue is the fact that working age people will need to support a growing number (relative to population) of pensioners.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
withoutaface said:
Because the current workers get raped by taxes to fund old folgies who didn't properly plan for their retirement.
But by the time we're old, the population will be mostly young again, so we'll be eating cat food.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
we could always cull their numbers. don't worry, with gorgeous people like katie_tully in the world population decline doesn't look like it'll ever affect this country.

robo-andie

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Population decline per se isn't the issue imo. What is an issue is the fact that working age people will need to support a growing number (relative to population) of pensioners.
So I suppose, if population decline continued, you would have less people to support those who can't support themselves.
Is this why there is no official retirement age in many countries, so there is the atleast the chance for older members of society to continue to support themselves and lessen the burden?

robo-andie

HSC
transcendent said:
we could always cull their numbers. don't worry, with gorgeous people like katie_tully in the world population decline doesn't look like it'll ever affect this country.
With our steady rate of immigration and our birth rate in comparison to our death rate, it is very likely population decline won't affect Australia. < Just incase you secretly wanted someone to support you:rolleyes:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
that's why i suggest we cull the population so that our birth rate remains above our death rate.

banco55

HSC
There's obivously the economic aspect but but I think a society where half the population over 60 would be an incredibly depressing one. You'd basically know as a society that your best days are over. Incidentally in 20 years time we might need conscription to maintain a decent sized defence force because of the drop in 18-24 population. All up I'd much prefer over population to a declining population.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The economic problems of over population are a lot more significant than those caused by population decline.

Population decline is just an issue now because of the ageing population.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i doubt the politicians would let it get to that rate. how would society function without cheap labour? :rolleyes:

banco55

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The economic problems of over population are a lot more significant than those caused by population decline.

Population decline is just an issue now because of the ageing population.
Not if it's well managed. Singapore and HK show you can deal with large very dense populations.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
but do you really want that in Australia? also it's a different environment. remember we had/have water shortages?

robo-andie

HSC
transcendent said:
we had/have water shortages?
There is a town near me which is under severe water restrictions. There water supply is gone, the dam is completely empty and they really have no short term solution. Of course, this is in rural nsw, so a dense population could possibly be supported closer to the coast where water is plentiful.

banco55

HSC
transcendent said:
but do you really want that in Australia? also it's a different environment. remember we had/have water shortages?
No I don't want that and yes water would be a major issue. Water is also a major issue for singapore for that matter. But in the final analysis I think overpopulation is the lesser of two evils.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
running out of resources if the lesser of two evils? i guess it's better than running out of people then having another country invade us with 100 elite troops. lol. imagining Sydney with no people. :(

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
The fewer people there is to work, the higher they get paid. The higher they get paid, the more they can support the old folks. Think about it, if there's less people, then the working people will get more pay(hopefully) because there is less supply of labour.

davin

HSC
N/A
snaykew, you forget that a smaller population would also lead to decreased demand for goods. you're lacking a source for the more money.....if everyone got more money across the board, i think it would eventually stabalise so that you'd not see much of an increase, if any.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
except there is an apparent skills shortage. you'd have to force people to live closer together because there isn't money to fund infrastructure in it's current state. less people means less maintenance of services, less services that can be provided, less money being generated to fund the country to spend on services, maintenance of infrastructure and advancing the country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)