pop culture performance poet (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
i'm trying to work through some ideas on popular culture for my performance poetry.
each time i think about concepts and themes i could use, even trying to put some verses together, it seems a little cliched. im not sure if it is, or if i'm being paranoid or what...

im only just getting a grasp on my ideas and concept and stuff, its a constantly moving state of progression.....i have this idea of popular culture as a all encompassing machine. destructive and creative. beautiful and hideous. constantly in motion though. and im seeing it as a train and have written some stuff about it.

is this cliched?
p.s. dont steal my ideas. or i kills yas.

HSC
steffo said:
i have this idea of popular culture as a all encompassing machine. destructive and creative. beautiful and hideous. constantly in motion though. and im seeing it as a train and have written some stuff about it.

is this cliched?
At the moment... yes...

steffo

steph
HSC
whiterabbit said:
At the moment... yes...
as in at this moment in society
or as in at this moment in the idea process?

its not really much of an idea yet.
i dont even know if i want to follow an idea for this medium.
which is...bad of me.

any constructive criticism?

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
maybe you could ask what popular culture actually is? is it the beliefs or behaviour of the majority? and what is the antithesis of that? individualism? is this perception and stereotyping categorising us out of existence? maybe pop culture is a paradox in itself, everyone does not want to admit to being part of pop culture like it may be a notion of conformity, but to go against this pop culture is to stereotype oneself as a non-conformist...im babbling, sorry. if you can make sense of all that good luck to you, lol.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
We had Miles Merrill (a performance poet) appear at our school.

Perhaps you could look/hear some of his work to give you a nudge in the right direction.

steffo

steph
HSC
black_man said:
maybe you could ask what popular culture actually is? is it the beliefs or behaviour of the majority? and what is the antithesis of that? individualism? is this perception and stereotyping categorising us out of existence? maybe pop culture is a paradox in itself, everyone does not want to admit to being part of pop culture like it may be a notion of conformity, but to go against this pop culture is to stereotype oneself as a non-conformist...im babbling, sorry. if you can make sense of all that good luck to you, lol.

yes yes this is exactly what my brain has been saying to me too.
but its difficult to place into anything logical in this medium.
it all kind of comes out cliched and turning back into the typical pop culture stuff.

but yes
im on that track
thanks

steffo

steph
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
We had Miles Merrill (a performance poet) appear at our school.

Perhaps you could look/hear some of his work to give you a nudge in the right direction.

yeh i went and saw a live show with him in it
he was absolutely amazing and inspiring and all other great words too.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
steffo said:
yes yes this is exactly what my brain has been saying to me too.
but its difficult to place into anything logical in this medium.
well that's easily solves....dont be logical! thats the first thing ive learned in my work, just categorise it out of existence, breaking things down into cliques and classification is part of the human nature, and really, if the we realised how contradictory we all are, the world would explode by folding in on itself (c) <- (that's a copyright, meaning i own that statement!, lol), but yeah, logic is a matter of interpretation, so dont let sense get in the way of poetry! ;)

steffo

steph
HSC
black_man said:
well that's easily solves....dont be logical! thats the first thing ive learned in my work, just categorise it out of existence, breaking things down into cliques and classification is part of the human nature, and really, if the we realised how contradictory we all are, the world would explode by folding in on itself (c) <- (that's a copyright, meaning i own that statement!, lol), but yeah, logic is a matter of interpretation, so dont let sense get in the way of poetry! ;)

i agree on the exploding front.
i have a theory in my journal for ee2 that we all have the capability to turn into black holes if we actually could fathom all these paradoxical elements of society.
good old black holes.

thanks for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)