Pomo - Elizabeth? (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hey,

Ive got my trials next week!, and my ee1 teacher has just decided that we have to use the film Elizabeth for related material (originally we werent going to have supplementary texts for the trial, but then he decided we will, and since we dont have time to go find a good ones hes decided we are all just using elizabeth...it doesnt help that none of us have seen it! lol)

So...has anyone used this before (or even seen it)?

How is it postmodern? Im really struggling to find links to postmodernism. All I have so far is the whole idea about history as a construct, there is no objective history etc in relation to how the creator has altered some historical facts surrounding elizabeths life.

Im also trying to get out something about gender...but i dunno...

Does anyone know of anything I could write about?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated! Im really struggling with it...

Thanks in advance

HSC
N/A
he's not seriously talking about the Cate Blanchett Elizabeth is he?!?!?!

kloudsurfer

HSC
glitterfairy said:
he's not seriously talking about the Cate Blanchett Elizabeth is he?!?!?!
Yup.

Hes a really good teacher and usually I trust his judgment...but I get the feeling it isnt even remotely postmodern.

Not that Ive seen it, and none of the video stores even have it...im thinking Ill go out on a limb and use my own.

So...any ideas for last minute related material? It doesnt have to be anything really good, just something to get me through the trials. We ony have to write a paragraph or 2 on it anyway. I was thinking Shrek would be really easy with the allusions and everything, but it seems a bit simplistic and childish compared to the core texts.

What about moulin rouge? I hear people use it (and I own it so I can go watch it quickly, though I havent watched it). What are things I could write about?

HSC
N/A
I totally agree with you there on the judgement thing. I love Elizabeth, but it's kind of romantic historical fiction. It's one of the last things I'd think about when considering postmodernism.

Moulin Rouge is a better choice. You could talk about it's constructed nature - there's some pretty crazy cutting that goes on!!

... having had a quick squizz at the pomo related texts thread, Run Lola Run would be AWESOME (it's basically a reconstruction of an event, with marginal changes each time). Memento would probably be good too - it's about a guy who looses his memory and wakes up to find his wife murdered, each morning he looses his memory again so he writes notes on his body. They're pretty trippy... 'trust this person's lies' and whatnot. People manipulate his memory loss, and all the time he's trying to figure out who killed his wife.

kloudsurfer

HSC
I swear i wrote a reply to your post like a week ago. Oh well, musnt have gone through....

Anyway, im using moulin rogue (and my exam is tomorrow and I havent even watched it yet! lol), and talking about the construction and intertextuality and stuff.

The texts you suggested sound really good, maybe Ill look at them for the HSC, I think ill only use moulin rogue for the trials.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)