• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PoMo - do u believe in it? (1 Viewer)

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
AsyLum said:
i was debating pomo as a social theory with which to live, rather than the academic one with which you speak.

There is a marked difference, as one you can apply and analyse accordingly, whereas the social theory itself means that you view it in one cast, as you are following the notion of the pomo theory.
Ok, I get it now! I thought u might have Turet's or something. :) But I'm not really sure that I agree that the literary and social mutations of pomo are so different...I mean obviously they're not the same thing, but they use the same principles and ideologies to reach the same conclusions (eg no absolute truth, no originality, everything is a "social construction" etc.) Those ideas apply not only to literature but also to society.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The major difference between the two is that one can be applied both as a literary perspective/theory even without fully agreeing with it.

Whereas the other, fulfilling the social theory of pomo means that you follow the credo to its fullest, and view only using the perspective of a postmodernist.

Its like looking at a book, as a Romantic, but with the ability to use the Post Modern theory as an additional perspective.

Where as you look at the book as a Post Modernist, you really dont have access to the other theories as they are mere "constructs" and thus you're reality is the only one that is worth noting.

Sophie777

I think Postmodernism goes too far as to say life is meaningless and we have no purpose. Really, it is a depressed persons way of attempting to make sense of something they feel makes no sense. I know that I have a purpose and whether there is not god or whether there is makes no difference to the way I live.

I really enjoy studying postmodernism, particularly because I am not religious and do not find it threatening. However, as long as people do not lose sight of real human values and get too caught up in philosophies as ways of defining life. In actual fact, accepting postmodernism as a way of defining the world is exactly what postmodernists such as lyotard are arguing against.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Sophie777 said:
I think Postmodernism goes too far as to say life is meaningless and we have no purpose. Really, it is a depressed persons way of attempting to make sense of something they feel makes no sense.
I don't think that's a very fair analysis...not to mention the fact that you haven't really backed up your very generalising claims. What you're basically saying is that pomo is a kind of 'excuse', a desperate attempt to explain the un-explainable. I think it's much more than that, and I think that pomo has a constructive and positive purpose, in increasing our awareness of the constructs of opinion.
Sophie777 said:
I know that I have a purpose and whether there is not god or whether there is makes no difference to the way I live.
Now if I was going to go all pomo on u I could argue that you don't actually "know" that, but your personal context and understanding of life has led you to draw that conclusion, which is by no means a definitive piece of 'knowledge' but merely an opinion. :p

Sophie777

Well i certainly know that I love people around me. What I am saying is that for ME, that is what gives my life purpose. I didn't say that was the case for others. I think that there are many people that think that postmodernism attempts to create meaning out of intellectualisation. In a sense, a person who feels life has no meaning, will find a purpose in educating others on this fact. I did not say that my opinion was absolute, it is only my opinion. And, if you knew postmodernism the way I assume that you do then you would surely accept that many opinions can exist at once i.e. pluralism.

I find that sometimes postmodernism reaches too far and I find it threatening to say the world is meaningless especially considering the terrible things that have happened this year in my life. I'm sorry if I insulted your view of postmodernism but it is only my opinion. No matter how much you intellectualise, I will still feel like there is a reason to live.

Sophie777

"Now if I was going to go all pomo on u I could argue that you don't actually "know" that, but your personal context and understanding of life has led you to draw that conclusion, which is by no means a definitive piece of 'knowledge' but merely an opinion."

Of course I have been brought up and influenced to feel that my life has a purpose regardless of God. You are missing my point completely. What matters is that I feel there is a purpose, therefore there is. Regardless of whether it is 'real' or I have it as 'true knowledge' I know living just for the sake of living and growing old is worth my time.

I don't think its useful to get stuck in postmodern ideas as a means to explain postmodern ideas. If you feel that postmodernism has a purpose to explain constructing opinions then thats great. I love studying it too! But don't criticise the opinion I hold by measuring it against your opinion.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Soz I wasn't intending to offend you...I was just playing around with ideas. Basically I just get frustrated about the fact that so many people interpret pomo to essentially mean that life has no purpose or meaning. I don't think that's what it's saying at all. The way I read into pomo is that there is no SINGULAR meaning or purpose to life, not that there is none at all.

Sophie777

Thats cool.

Yeah, I agree that it has heaps to offer. Too much to be able to include in my essay!

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
"postmodernism is not dead. Baudrillard, Derrida, Bourdieu, Spivak are all still out there writing. "

derrida died just 4 days ago now

damn, i was hoping to meet him some day

Last edited:

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
i agree with gemita and tommywatts. pomo is not completely nihilistic: the postmodern approach encourages more open interpretations of reality, recoginising the contradictions and hidden ideologies. I view my reality and beliefs as a cultural/social construct but i don't feel useless. i have goals and ambitions but i recognises that is, ultimately, of my own construct.

pomo offers a certain pleasure in the irony of things, in the game of things. you would have to be a pretty strong person to not need these values and at the same time, be sucked into the miasma of hoplessness.

i think pomo is by far the closest representation/explanation of our present day reality (more so than any other discourses) - without artifice or pretence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)