polystyrene question (1 Viewer)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
well polystyrene is a polymer and polymers have covalent chemical bonds

DepressedPenguino

HSC
I know dispersion forces would be a guarantee but idk if there is another on top of that

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
PS is a funky molecule due to its delocalised electron cloud around the benzene ring, but all it has are carbon atoms and hydrogen atoms, therefore non-polar (no dipole-dipole) also no hydrogen bonding between the molecules as there is no atom with high enough electro negativity.
So, I'd dare say dispersion only

MaccaFacta

HSC
N/A
There are three types of intermolecular forces which are discussed in HSC Chemistry: hydrogen bonding, dipole-dipole interactions and van der Waals (aka dispersion forces aka "London forces").

Polystyrene only contains carbon and hydrogen, so there is no possibility of hydrogen bonding (which needs fluorine, oxygen or nitrogen) or dipole-dipole (carbon and hydrogen have very similar electronegativities), so the only possible intermolecular force between polystyrene molecules is van der Waals (aka dispersion forces aka "London forces").

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
well polystyrene is a polymer and polymers have covalent chemical bonds
Hahaha omg you're so cute. Pls stop answering HSC questions when you don't know what intermolecular bonding is.

@OP it is dispersion/van der waals

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
Hahaha omg you're so cute. Pls stop answering HSC questions when you don't know what intermolecular bonding is.

@OP it is dispersion/van der waals
I can remember some of it :D

But yeah OP, you should probably listen to Adrita lol

emilios

HSC
don't think it would be dipole-dipole as I have a suspicion that the benzene has no net dipole (non-polar). hydrogen bonding is out of the question (no oxygen, nitrogen or fluorine).

so you're left with dispersion forces :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)