Polynomials (1 Viewer)

jaychouf4n

HSC
ok

Find the equation to the curve y^3=x^2 at point P(t^2,t^3), hence, find where the tangent meets the curve again.

Ok is got the equation of the tangent and solved simultaneously with the equation of the curve, and got a cubic. So I know t^2 is one root of the equation, but in the back it says t^2 is a double root. Why is that??

N.B. I've done the question i just don't know why t^2 is a double root based on the information we know.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jaychouf4n said:
ok

Find the equation to the curve y^3=x^2 at point P(t^2,t^3), hence, find where the tangent meets the curve again.

Ok is got the equation of the tangent and solved simultaneously with the equation of the curve, and got a cubic. So I know t^2 is one root of the equation, but in the back it says t^2 is a double root. Why is that??

N.B. I've done the question i just don't know why t^2 is a double root based on the information we know.
Is your question correct?

jaychouf4n

HSC
yup terry lee 3.4 1b)

god i'm killing myself right now...can't even do q1

jaychouf4n

HSC
In the back it says

4x^3-9t^2x^2+6t^4x-t^6

This equation has 3 roots, two of which are t^2,t^2. Let the 3rd root be alpha etc

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jaychouf4n said:
yup terry lee 3.4 1b)

god i'm killing myself right now...can't even do q1
Look at your first sentence of post 1.

It doesn't see right.

y^3 = x^2 with point (t^2, t^3)?

You mean y^3 = x^2 with point (t^3, t^2)?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jaychouf4n said:
In the back it says

4x^3-9t^2x^2+6t^4x-t^6

This equation has 3 roots, two of which are t^2,t^2. Let the 3rd root be alpha etc
okie dokie

t^2 is a double root because if you look at it and differentiate it, you will see that t^2 is a zero for both non-derivative and first derivative one.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
jaychouf4n said:
ok

Note that t² is the x value of P(t², t³). Your equation to solve is a cubic. The tangent passes through only two points, so this implies that a double root exists (as it does not pass through 3 points but 2). Since the tangent "touches" x = t², then the double root exists at that value. If it wasn't a double root, the tangent would pass straight through that point.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lyounamu said:
Look at your first sentence of post 1.

It doesn't see right.

y^3 = x^2 with point (t^2, t^3)?

You mean y^3 = x^2 with point (t^3, t^2)?
It's (t^2, t^3)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
It's (t^2, t^3)
Well, in relation to the original question that he posted up, it should be (t^3, t^2) because he said that y^3 = x^2

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, in relation to the original question that he posted up, it should be (t^3, t^2) because he said that y^3 = x^2
Oh right I see. Gotcha (Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)