polymers (1 Viewer)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
im rlly not sure how to go about this topic, would i ever be expected to draw a polymer such as nylon or can i just familiarise myself with its properties and uses? seems a bit tedious to memorise what each polymer looks like (the addition ones are fine... I'm a bit shit at the condensation ones), but I'm not sure, i just started learning this. thank youuuu
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 6.45.28 pm.png

Big_Kev

HSC
im rlly not sure how to go about this topic, would i ever be expected to draw a polymer such as nylon or can i just familiarise myself with its properties and uses? seems a bit tedious to memorise what each polymer looks like (the addition ones are fine... I'm a bit shit at the condensation ones), but I'm not sure, i just started learning this. thank youuuu
View attachment 39609
surely theyre not that cruel that they make us draw the whole polymer right!?!?
lmao u could honestly just memorise 1,6 diaminohexane (just a 6 Carbon chain long hexane wit amine groups on either end) & hexanedioic acid (just carb. acid wit 2 functional groups - one on either side) & then if they EVER ask us to draw it, just remove the OH's from the acid, an H from the amine (thus removing H2O) join em together & there you go 😱😱 (idek if thats the right approach bruh)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
surely theyre not that cruel that they make us draw the whole polymer right!?!?
lmao u could honestly just memorise 1,6 diaminohexane (just a 6 Carbon chain long hexane wit amine groups on either end) & hexanedioic acid (just carb. acid wit 2 functional groups - one on either side) & then if they EVER ask us to draw it, just remove the OH's from the acid, an H from the amine (thus removing H2O) join em together & there you go 😱😱 (idek if thats the right approach bruh)
i dont actually know what to do, my school decided not to go over it so I'm resorting to other ppls notes so I've never even come across 1,6-diaminohexane 😭 but thank u so so much for this ur a lifesaver!!

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
View attachment 39609

nsw..wollongong

HSC
also would u ever get asked abt how polymers are formed (like talking abt that free radical stuff)?? bc the syllabus only mentions "model and compare the structure, properties and uses of polymers"

nsw..wollongong

HSC
im going to kill my teacher how much emphasis should be placed on polymer revision? I'm so sorry I'm asking so many questions BUT IDK HOW IMPORTANT THIS SECTION IS

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
im going to kill my teacher how much emphasis should be placed on polymer revision? I'm so sorry I'm asking so many questions BUT IDK HOW IMPORTANT THIS SECTION IS
polymers is a section of its own in module 7, i would say you need to know all the basic addition polymers stated in the syllabus + at least one each of polyesters and polyamides - know their monomers, then have 2-3 properties in mind that can be linked to 1-2 uses for each.
you'd also need to know how the addition + condensation polymerisation reactions work and how to apply them beyond the stuff in the syllabus. you could be asked to write out the products of condensation polymerisation given random reactants that you've never seen before

nsw..wollongong

HSC
polymers is a section of its own in module 7, i would say you need to know all the basic addition polymers stated in the syllabus + at least one each of polyesters and polyamides - know their monomers, then have 2-3 properties in mind that can be linked to 1-2 uses for each.
you'd also need to know how the addition + condensation polymerisation reactions work and how to apply them beyond the stuff in the syllabus. you could be asked to write out the products of condensation polymerisation given random reactants that you've never seen before
thank you so so much 🫶

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)