Poly question (extension Cambridge q) (1 Viewer)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Division transformation is that you can express a polynomial A (the dividend), with divisor D, quotient Q and remainder R as:
, and the degree of R is less than that of D. So try thinking about what D and R are :). If you still can't figure it out I'll show you how to do it :).

And the MX1 exam was pretty easy, not too hard.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Division transformation is that you can express a polynomial A (the dividend), with divisor D, quotient Q and remainder R as:
, and the degree of R is less than that of D. So try thinking about what D and R are :). If you still can't figure it out I'll show you how to do it :).

And the MX1 exam was pretty easy, not too hard.
You mean you smashed it and should get 70/70 and that you would've state ranked if not for internals :p

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Let P(x) = (x-p)(x-q)Q(x) + ax+b

.: P(p) = 0 + ap+b = p^3
& P(q) = 0 + aq+b = q^3

Solving the 2 simultaneous equations for a and b, you get:

a = p^2 + pq + q^2 and b = -pq(p+q)

.: remainder is (p^2+pq+q^2)x - pq(p+q)

hsc3hard5me

HSC
Thanks, I have another question I'm struggling to get, it looks really easy but I don't know how to get the answer:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can find M easily by using the fact that there is a root at x=-2, in other words P(-2)=0.

Now that you have M, you can use the sum of roots.

Note that the roots are -2, A and A, so the sum of roots is -2+2A. Compare that to the sum of roots by observing the coefficients and you can solve for A.

Axio

=o
HSC
Let P(x) = (x-p)(x-q)Q(x) + ax+b
.: P(p) = 0 + ap+b = p^3
& P(q) = 0 + aq+b = q^3

Solving the 2 simultaneous equations for a and b, you get:

a = p^2 + pq + q^2 and b = -pq(p+q)

.: remainder is (p^2+pq+q^2)x - pq(p+q)
With this, how do you know that the remainder is linear? (Or does it not matter)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
With this, how do you know that the remainder is linear? (Or does it not matter)
Division by a quadratic always yields a remainder of a lower degree than the quadratic (ie a linear or constant function). If the 'remainder' has a degree greater than or equal to the degree of the quadratic then it is not really a true 'remainder' because further division can be carried out

hsc3hard5me

HSC
You can find M easily by using the fact that there is a root at x=-2, in other words P(-2)=0.

Now that you have M, you can use the sum of roots.

Note that the roots are -2, A and A, so the sum of roots is -2+2A. Compare that to the sum of roots by observing the coefficients and you can solve for A.
I tried subbing in x=-2 but it m ends up cancelling out and the equation ends up as 0=0

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh dear, my response was incorrect anyway. I did not see that the second term was an x term, not an x^2 term. Ignore that please =)

The sum of roots is zero since the x^2 term has a zero coefficient (which is why it is not there).

2A - 2 = 0

A=1.

Now that you have all three roots, you can use the product of roots to calculate M.

hsc3hard5me

HSC
Oh dear, my response was incorrect anyway. I did not see that the second term was an x term, not an x^2 term. Ignore that please =)

The sum of roots is zero since the x^2 term has a zero coefficient (which is why it is not there).

2A - 2 = 0

A=1.

Now that you have all three roots, you can use the product of roots to calculate M.
Thanks, that explained it quickly!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)